DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   I just ordered a PD-170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/20240-i-just-ordered-pd-170-a.html)

Dave Hagan February 10th, 2004 09:14 PM

I planned on using the PD170 for documentary work and ads...something the VX2100 can do, but I wanted the safety of DVCAM and the XLR audio. :(

Paul Vlachos February 10th, 2004 09:20 PM

Dave,

You'd probably be more than fine with the Beachtek; then you could just hold on a year or two for the inevitable "next great thing," camerawise.

Otherwise, just find someone with a camera above the serial number posted - contrary to an above post, my NTSC model seemed to be in the range of serial numbers that a poster said was different because they were PAL.

I'm sure you can find a new one somewhere.

Allen Brodsky February 11th, 2004 11:43 AM

Dave,
Another option is to send your PC170 to Sony for warranty repair. According to other posts in this thread, the turnaround is quick.

Dave Largent February 11th, 2004 03:28 PM

Well I got my NTSC model at B&H that has the
audio buzz.
I contacted Sony pro about it. I was not notified
about any type of paperwork to include with the
cam, other than being told to send it in. I was
able to copy the standard repair form from a link that
someone else here posted. And, Sony tried to get
me to pay for shipping. When I complained about
this, I was put on hold for awhile and then given
a Fed Ex number.
It's been over a week since I sent the cam out
"Overnight Express" and I haven't heard any more
about it.

Mike Rehmus February 11th, 2004 04:36 PM

Ya gotta call them and stay on top of them. They have a habit of losing track of where they are at.

Joel Ruggiero February 11th, 2004 07:16 PM

ya sony pulled that crap on me a month ago. You just go to keep harrassing

Brandon Payte February 12th, 2004 09:01 PM

PD-170 from B&H

I received my PD170 from B&H today. It does not appear to have the audio hum problem. I tested it with the LCD open and recorded to tape. I also listened with headphones and compared it to my PD150.

For the guys who have had the audio hum problem... is it pretty loud and would I have noticed it as soon as I opened the LCD?

Dave Hagan February 12th, 2004 09:07 PM

Depends on the angle of the screen.

Joe Orlando February 12th, 2004 09:17 PM

i received a pd170 from B&H aroun jan23 and i had the hum problem.. I took a chance and made an exchange and received a newer model on 02-11-04 and the hum is gone the serial number starts with 1113--- but it works.The cool thing is i didn't say anything about shipping and received the invoice for the camera and B&H took $150.00 off the price of the camera.thats good business.

Paul Vlachos February 12th, 2004 09:49 PM

Brandon, it was not super loud with mine, but it was audible. It's not easy to distinguish noises at first over the hiss of full volume in headphones.

Mine appeared as soon as the lcd was opened a bit, at any angle. I'd leave the volume up at full, then close the door. Put on the headphones with the camera on VCR, no mic attached - this is what worked for me, at least - then crack the door and listen. It was clearly audible on mine. Not loud, but audible. I hope this helps.

Dave Largent February 12th, 2004 10:40 PM

Unlatch the LCD but don't open it far enough
that the light comes on. Tilt it at about a
5 to 10 degree angle (with the light still
out) and then open and close the door
just enough so that the light goes on/off.
Buzz is noticably louder when the door
is tilted.

Brandon Payte February 12th, 2004 11:05 PM

Thanks guys! I tried the different ways opening and closing/angle the LCD.... still no hum. Hopefully it won't show up when I'm shooting for clients.

Craig Seeman February 13th, 2004 09:25 AM

Hi Joe et al,

My serial number for the no buz PD-170 was a 1111 series. I think the NTSC good serial numbers are different than the ones posted on the "international" web site people have gotten the numbers from.

I did call Sony to discuss the potential problem BEFORE going to B&H. Sony said the NTSC serials are different than the PAL numbers. Sony suggested and B&H gave me the serial number before openning the box. They also allowed me to test the camera in store.

I tested the camera sans mic so I could hear the internal electronic noise "clean." I've used the PD150 extensively so I now what the internal noise sounds like. Again, no buzz and the PD170 electronic noise does seem slightly quieter too.

I think the people who caught the "buzz" on dates near when those of us who didn't, might have had slightly older units placed in shipping just before the recall. Sony did say the recall was very recent as in just a few days before I called.

BTW I think it would be good for US to compile the good and bad serial numbers of NTSC units here so people might get an idea of the approximate cut off. B&H seems willing to give the serial number of the unit (it's on the box so they don't have to open it) and my guess is, they'll switch boxes if you ask. Of course at this point all the bad serials have been recalled according to both Sony and B&H (but who knows who's got what "sitting on the shelf").

Lou Bruno February 13th, 2004 11:12 AM

Very simply....................they sent you a camera that was below the designated serial#. They probably had it on the shelf.

Lou Bruno February 13th, 2004 11:12 AM

Very simply....................they sent you a camera that was below the designated serial#. They probably had it on the shelf.