DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   I just ordered a PD-170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/20240-i-just-ordered-pd-170-a.html)

Paul Vlachos February 29th, 2004 01:59 PM

Paul,

Sony paid for shipping, although I recently got an invoice from them for FedEx charges, but after I called them about it, they said it was sent out by accident and to disregard it. So I did not pay for shipping. That's not true of everyone, I believe. Read the thread.

As for turnaround time, they got it and and out in the same week. Again, there are probably no guarantees.

And as for shipping it back unfixed, what can I say? The work they did on mine fixed it. I recall only reading one post here where it wasn't fixed properly, but again, I could be mistaken.

Wish I could be of more help.

Paul Chun March 1st, 2004 12:23 PM

Thanks Paul, I called Sony this morning and got their FedEx account number to send in my camera. They told me FedEx ground! I'm in Hawaii so you can imagine how long it'll take before they even get it in Georgia. Were you able to send it overnight or did you also have to send it ground?

Mike Rehmus March 1st, 2004 08:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Chun : Thanks Paul, I called Sony this morning and got their FedEx account number to send in my camera. They told me FedEx ground! I'm in Hawaii so you can imagine how long it'll take before they even get it in Georgia. Were you able to send it overnight or did you also have to send it ground? -->>>

Ignore them and send it 2 day air.

Tony Zubrowski March 1st, 2004 11:36 PM

pd 170 sound fix

I just sent my 170 in for the sound fix. No problems. There was a quick turnaround and the audio problem related to the lcd screen is gone. Sony paid for the shipping.

Tony Z
New Genesis Productions

Paul Chun March 3rd, 2004 07:24 PM

Re: pd 170 sound fix

Well, I just sent in my PD170 to Georgia 2nd day air via FedEx. We'll see how long it takes for them to fix it and ship it back to me. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Paul Chun March 12th, 2004 06:17 PM

Just got my camera back today from Sony. The hiss is gone. BUT... they didn't ship my original box back with my microphone in it. I had called them and they said they found it and would ship it to me overnite so I'll have it on Monday. A few minutes later someone called and said they can't find it and that shipping normally ships everything back.

I called them back but the were gone for the day already. Geez! Well... good service in terms of fixing and turn around time. Bad service in terms of returning everything I sent them! I'll need to call them on Monday and find out whats going on and hopefully they have my box just misplaced it somewhere.

Mike Rehmus March 12th, 2004 09:58 PM

Yea, they lost my original box, returned the camera wrapped in bubble wrap.

Then when the camera had to go right back to them because they screwed up the backfocus, they tried to tell me that the problem was caused by the poor packing. Their packing BTW.

Unfortunately for them, they tried that on my wife when she called to check on the camera's arrival.

When they gave me a new 150 after about 10 months, it arrived in, yup, you guessed it, bubble-wrap.

Never ever ship them any accessories as they are guaranteed to lose them. Leave the lens hood and cover on but nothing else, not even the rubber eyepiece.

Paul Chun March 12th, 2004 10:09 PM

Mike,

So what is my recourse? Or do I have any? I called Sony and the cost of a replacement mic is almost $200!!! I shipped the camera with the mic thinking they would need it to check the hum (stupid me!). I sent them my camera in the original box with the mic (less foam windscreen) and I took everything else out. Battery, lens hood, and memory stick.

Am I to assume that they aren't going to ship me back anything me?

On the good side of things, the camera is really really quiet now!

Dave Largent March 12th, 2004 10:16 PM

Paul,
How much did you pay for shipping?

Paul Chun March 12th, 2004 10:19 PM

Dave,

Sony paid for the shipping both ways. It was overnite shipping.

Mike Rehmus March 12th, 2004 10:42 PM

Paul,

You have to go right after them. Claim that you shouldn't be expected to know what was wrong with the camera and it is very logical that you sent them the microphone and you want it back.

It isn't your fault they lost it, it is their's. Don't stop at the first person who answers the phone if they won't help. Work your way up. Demand to speak to a manager until you get someone who will agree to send it back to you. Ask for the original box and packing foam too. Back off on the box and packing if you have to if they return or give you a new microphone, i.e. make that your throw-away demand if you have to.

It is always wise to create a packing slip when you ship anything to anyone. Record model numbers and serial numbers if possible. Even list the box and the packing if it is special or custom for the equipment.

I also fax or mail a packing slip in addition to the one I enclosed in the shipping container if I am at all concerned with the operation to which I am sending the equipment.