Filters & White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filters & White Balance

Hey Guys,
I've been searching the threads for more info, but really can't find myself a straight answer. OK, I use The PD150 with a Polorizer at all times. I also have a Tiffen 812 that is stacked with the Polorized filter. I usually always keep those two together, on at all times.
Now as far as white balancing goes, (I'm always outdoors so the outdoor White Balance sun setting is always on) this is what I've found from reading other threads...The polorized filter will not be cancled out but the 812 filter will be. Is that right?
Secondly, I do have a Tiffen clear UV filter that I never use because most people say to use this for protection, well I already have to filters stacked protecting the lens, so is there any other reason why I should use this uv filter, does it really cut down on the heat? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your time everybody,

Todd
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

Stacking filters has never been considered a good idea unless you really need the combined effects of multiple filters. But any filter does degrade the image.

Is there some reason you keep the polarizer on all the time? It really cuts down on light transmission.

Manual White Balance can be affected by it because it delivers more saturated colors. If you can see them, so can the camera. Whether you want to do that or not is up to you.

The 812 will not be neutralized since you use the preset white balance. It would if you used manual White Balance.

Putting a third filter on is unnecessary. The UV filter doesn't really filter out anything that can be seen with any degree of sensitivity by the CCDs. It is essentially a clear piece of glass as far as a CCD is concerned.

IR Filtering is built into the camera. It is not removable.
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well Mike,
I guess for one I find myself around water quite a bit. I only spend time with the camera outdoors and being able to turn the sky that deep blue is really important.
It seem the 812 is just nice for warming the scene up a bit. Are these two a bad combo? Should stay away from the polorizer a bit?
I like that filter so much just because I'm around water a lot!
I guess I should try taking it off as it might surprise me!
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

You can recreate the effect of the 812 through judicious "cheated" white balance (warm cards or balancing with blue gel), but if it's working for you, why not. Well, the "why not" would be the possibly negative effect of stacking filters as Mike mentions. If you are not having problems with sunspot flares when shooting backlit or into the sun reflected in the water, then you are probably doing OK.
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'd chose to not use the 812 if I had to chose only one filter. A warm-card would be a 'cleaner' approach to getting the warm look you want. Assuming you don't want to do that in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion