Sony tele adapter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony tele adapter question

just got the

VCL-HG1758

for my pd-170

the zoom is great and sharp, but when i pull all the way back to full wide i get a curved black croping effect on the edges

what do you call this?

is it normal?

ty

charlie
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's called vignetting (vin-yet-ing) I said it once and my mother (85 years) said, "nice to hear speaking Yiddish for a change"

Anyway, Yeah, it's "normal" on a lot of lens attachments. Some are better than others, some are WAY better than others and some don't have any BUT if you know what the lens does and at what point it does it, you should be able to avoid it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey Charlie - you've bought a telephoto converter to extend the focal length of your PD170 from 72mm to 122.4mm. If you need a wider angle of view, best to remove said lens.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hehe ty guys really appreciate your replies.

i have to say i don't get it- I buy a sony lens which seem to be especially for this camera and i get vignetting.

maybe it's unaviodable.

Sure i can take the lens off and put the wide adapter on.

but it'simppossible to know how much i can zoom out untill i get the vignetting.

that means extra work on my nle system.

did i get the wrong lens?

PS after doing a search i see everyone has this issue with all tele lenses :(

oh well at least i don't have to sell the dang thing
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Canon C8 1.4x teleconverter that doesn't vignette at all whatever the zoom position, so if your requirement is that you *must* have full zoom capabilities, then yes, you bought the wrong lens Charlie.

There's nothing wrong with the lens itself though - it's actually designed to vignette the image as you zoom back. It could've been designed with much bigger elements so as to not to vignette, but it would have been heavier, more expensive and a lot bigger. They wouldn't sell many. My C8 is big and it's a pretty mild 1.4X, so I don't use it much.

And remember - if you stick a lens in front of your camcorder - ANY lens, then you'll degrade the image quality. There's no getting away from this basic law of optics.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion