I find the PD-170 picture a bit soft at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #1
Major Player

I find the PD-170 picture a bit soft

As a new owner of a 170 I find the picture of the Sony appears a bit soft as compared to my GL2 or DVC80. Of course the low light is much better and it is a cleaner picture but it's not as crisp or sharp. I haven't found any posts mentioning this observation. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I nuts? I have dialed up the sharpness control in the cam a couple notches per Lou Bruno's suggestion.

Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

I find it to be good as-is. But I'm not trying to match it to anything other than Sony cameras.
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Contributor

It should be very definitely sharper than your GL2. When I got a DSR250 (about 3 years or so ago), it was also too soft right out of the box. Go into the menu and you can adjust that. I think I took it over to about 75%. You don't want to go too far, or you'll start getting some edginess.
You might also want to check out the lens and try to determine if maybe there is a back focus problem. If you zoom into something tight and it's sharp, then you zoom back to a wide shot and it's soft, then there is probably a back focus issue and you'll have to send the camera in for service. This was a problem on early VX1000s, and I've seen it on XL1's, but not on a 150. However, it can happen.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Depends on what you're shooting. For weddings softer is better. Typically sharpening the picture is bad in any case because it adds artificial edges. In fact I have my DVX100 knocked down to -3 in detail. Gives a nice romantic feel.
Mathew Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know Bill. I compared a friends 150 and it too seemed to me to be a softer picture, compared to the other cams, cleaner for sure but softer. I think that may be just the way they are. Got a friend who also just got a 170 so I'll compare them. I don't want to be a freak with the issue micro managing it but I can see a difference. Thanks for your thoughts so far guys. This forum is great. People are generally pretty well mannered.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The Sony lens is - like every other lens made - aperture critical. If you want the sharpest pictures possible then don't stop down below f5.6 - use the ND filters to ensure this is so. Better yet shoot at f4. But avoid f11 - diffraction effects (especially at wide-angle) really soften the picture down there.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Go Cycle

Re: I find the PD-170 picture a bit soft

Rob-had a customer with the same problem last week.

Go into Custom Pre-set.

Raise detail 75%-will NOT produce sharp edges like the analog days.

Click color Saturation one click to the left.

Always manually WB the camera.

You will see a difference.

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Easler : As a new owner of a 170 I find the picture of the Sony appears a bit soft as compared to my GL2 or DVC80. Of course the low light is much better and it is a cleaner picture but it's not as crisp or sharp. I haven't found any posts mentioning this observation. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I nuts? I have dialed up the sharpness control in the cam a couple notches per Lou Bruno's suggestion. -->>>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion