PD170 Shutter Speed Film Look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Tourist

PD170 Shutter Speed Film Look

Got my PD170 this weekend (from B&H) and have been exploring all the creative possibilities that this camera's manual controls have to offer (this is my first "prosumer" camera experience).

While experimenting with the various controls, I found that a shutter speed of 1/30 gives me a psuedo film-like look to the picture. This is probably old news to most, but I kinda like the effect it produces. So the question is, beside the reasons I've listed below, are there any other reasons why I shouldn't use the slower shutter speed if I like the "look"?

Here's what I can think of:

1. If I choose to shoot a program at the slower shutter speed, I'm stuck with it. No changing it in post.
2. Prevents me from using other film-look processes (Nattress Filters or Magic Bullet) since they need the 1/60 fps temporal information intact to do their thing.
3. I'll have to be careful to stop down the aperature and/or use the ND filters in bright light, since using the slower shutter speed provides a brighter exposure to begin with.

That's all I can come up with from my feeble brain (and limited experience). I'm doing mostly documentary work, so the motion blur of a NASCAR race or football game are not a concern. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive I've seen broadcast programs that have had the same look. Not quite film (obvious from video contrast limitations), but not quite the sharp video look either.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
-Bob
Bob Cirillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
So the question is, beside the reasons I've listed below, are there any other reasons why I shouldn't use the slower shutter speed if I like the "look"?
I've used 1/15 and even 1/7.5 speeds for neat blurring effects. Any other reason why you should not? Depends. I believe there is some resolution loss, if that's a worry. It isn't for me.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion