Buying my first Camcorder (VX2100), any helpful comments?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 16th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying my first Camcorder (VX2100), any helpful comments??

I have been reading a lot of the invaluable information on this forum and would like thank you guys. I am basically an audio guy buying my first camcorder. I was torn between the Sony VX2100 and the Canon GL2 and have finally decided to go with the Sony.

In my current setup, I use Nuendo & Wavelab for audio, and Pinnacle Liquid Edition for my video editing. Below is my list for my camcorder gear, a few items I purchased already on eBay; the remaining items I wil purchase from B&H. Any feedback or comments you would care to share with me would be appreciated.

Sony VX2100
B&H Mack 4 year Pro Warranty
Sony LSF-S58 Lens Hood
Sony NP-F960 batteries (2)
VariZoom VZ-DBC Dual Battery Charger
Kenko KRW-065SB Wide Angle Converter
Sennheiser ME66/K6 Microphone (purchased on ebay for $300.00)
Sennheiser MZS-CAM Shotgun Camera Shock Mount
Sennheiser MZW66 Windscreen
BeachTek DXA-4 (purchased on ebay $103.50)
Bogen Manfrotto 3460/503 Head
Bogen Manfrotto 3021 Tripod (purchased on ebay $84.00)
Bogen Manfrotto 3127 Dollie (purchased on ebay ($51.00)
VariZoom VZ-B20 Bag
Hoodman H-300 LCD Hood
Lenmar High Speed Tape Rewinder
Tiffen Ultra Contrast #1 Filter
Tiffen Polarizer Filter
Tiffen UV Protector Glass Filter

Regards,

Ray
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For several of your items, unless you know you have a specific need I would not spend the money on them now: the dual charger, hood, and tape rewinder.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Hello Ray...

New uiser here myself. I just got my VX2100 2 days ago and I love it. You have a very nice wish list. As long as you have the $$$, get it all man.

I see you use LE to edit. Me too. In fact I run the LE Users Group (PLUG) here in Charlotte. You can check out our website at www.dmvideo.net/edition. Lots of cool things plus reviews on all the LE tutotials available.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Andy:

Congratulations on your purchase of your VX2100.

Great to see another Pinnacle LE guy on here! I visited your Pinnacle LE site, looks great. I just purchased the Power Start CD by John Mellicker. I will go through some more of your reviews to check on the others.

Regards,

Ray
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #5
Major Player

If you're an audio guy, then you should see the value of the XLR inputs on the Sony PD170. Something the VX2100 does not have.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That was why I included the BeachTek DXA-4
Old July 18th, 2004, 03:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Since you live in Jersey, the Mack warranty might work for you. Those like me who would have to pay shipping for 3,000 miles, both ways to their shop in your state, might wish they'd gone with another brand.

Definitely get the DV tape rewinder. It will save wear on the camcorder. I got the Sima SRW-62 and it's a gem. Some other brands may not be trustworthy with your tapes. If you can get a DV VCR for playback, even better. My $750. JVC HR-DVS3U, with dual-deck DV/S-VHS, is the cheapest way to go for one.

The NP-960 is a great battery, but I'm not buying a 2nd one, until I need it. With its huge capacity and the smaller included battery, I haven't coming close to running out of power yet. The Sima SPM-13 charger is the best I can recommend. I've used mine constantly for more than 3 years and it charges fast and dependably. It works with all Sony lithium camcorder batteries, at least the NP-F and NP-FM ones I've had. It does several other brands, as well, using 3 adaptor inserts to match their contacts.

I can't criticize your low-cost e-Bay acquisitions, but when I started with an expensive pro camcorder, I went overboard with the full set of every possible accessory and never really needed half of them. The best and most useful VX2100 accessory I have is a shoulder-mount/steadying rig that I made myself. It converts this king of the hand-held consumer camcorders into a more pro-like shoulder cam.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve:

I had looked at the VariZoom VZ-1 Shooter
http://www.varizoom.com/pages/oneshoot.php

and the VZ-LSP
http://www.varizoom.com/pages/lsp.php

The first project that I will be shooting (a martial arts instructional DVD/VCR series) will be mainly shot using the tripod, that was why I had not included on the list. I definitely will keep your suggestion at the top of my list.

Regards,

Ray
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Steve:

I looked at the Sima SRW-62 tape rewinder, I like especially the Auto-stop sensor. I will go with the Sima, thanks again for the tip!

Ray
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Steve:

Here are a few other shoulder supports that I found from reading on here if anyone has any feedbacks

Tortle Rig
http://www.16x9inc.com/easyrig/tortlerig.shtml

MARzPAK
http://www.marztech.com/specifications.html

DV Caddie
http://www.dvcaddie.com/dvcaddie.htm

VariZoom VZ-LSP
http://www.varizoom.com/pages/lsp.php

VariZoom VZ-1 Shooter
http://www.varizoom.com/pages/oneshoot.php
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:17 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Another one is the Camsling. I've tried this and it works.

www.camsling.co.uk
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM   #12
Trustee

I can vouch for the Marzpak. It's well worth the money and it works better than a few of the shoulder mounts that i've tried(my opinion). The unit is assembled by Jaques Mersereau's wife (one of our members). The detail and workmanship is amazing for what the unit costs. The best money i ever spent.
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Looking at many of the post on the forums with respect to microphones, I see that many prefer the AT4073A mic as opposed to the Sennheiser ME66/K6. Are any of you guys using the AT4073A with a Beachtek DXA-6 or DXA-8?
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion