LCD screen cut-off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

LCD screen cut-off?

I know that when you edit in FCE that you are watching the full screen and that on a tv the edges will be slighly cut-off.

I'm using a sony VX2000. Is what I see on the flip-out LCD screen what I would likely see on a tv or in Final Cut Pro? In other words, is the LCD showing me what would be seen on a tv (edges slightly trimmed)?

Thanks in advance

Oh, also, where do most people keep their LCD brightness. In most situations I keep it at about halfway..........is that a good spot?
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You'll find that the side-screen and the viewfinder both mask large chunks from the recorded image. They mask more than my Sony TV and I for one dislike it. TV masking is a historical thing and is certainly not needed today.

Very easy to check out though Brian. Connect your TV to the video out yellow phono on the VX, while at the same time have the cam Firewired into the PC. You'll now get to see all the expensive wide-angle coverage you've paid for but hardly ever get to see.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

The screen will not show you all of the field covered by the camera. A quick test will demonstrate the uncovered area.

As to the level of the backlight. That is normally determined when you calibrate the LCD with color bars. It won't be a great calibration but better than leaving it as-built. Same for your viewfinder if you have a 2100

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion