VX2100 sample footage? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 21st, 2004, 01:52 PM   #16
Wrangler

I record a lot of engine noise, both model and full-sized. Imagine a 1/3 scale small block turning at 10,000 rpm with open collectors. Or a new (full-sized) Wright model B engine with 6" stacks.

For me, the Shure SM81 is the best microphone for this job. It also works well on gunshots too.

Folks, I don't want to have to split this thread so if you want to talk extensively about microphones, the discussion really belongs in the, "Now Hear This" forum.

Please don't devote very many words to car talk. I'm as bad as the next guy but it just doesn't belong here.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:22 PM   #17
Wrangler

Yeah....count the Senheisser ME66 out! lol I have problems at wedding receptions when people cheer yet alone shooting at a track. I can only imagine what those annoying old Mazda rotaries would sound like "Vrrrooommm Bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap" They drive me CRAZY!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:36 PM   #18
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Bromberger : Who would have thought that I'd find a bunch of car guys over here?!
Yep before I got into video a few years back that's all I did- I dumped thousands into my previous car. I used to do mostly shows but an occasional street night at the strip. I still have footage from my old VHS-C camera of some of my runs.

Glen - get the supra, you'll never regret it!! you can make 450hp with these things easier than you can get out of bed... 700hp is only a turbo, fuel system and computer away...
Trust me the Supra is my first love- problem is I need a warranty. I just can't "afford" to fix things when the go aray. If I were to get an STi I get all year round drivablitliy- heck on a snowy day I can take your 8 sec. Stang out...lol
Besides if I got a Supra I'd be too tempted to go the "show" route and slap a nice Veilside kit on it...they look gorgeous (have you seen them?). There's a big team from NYC called Extreme Performace and they run mostly Supras. They run a lot of races around my way (S.Jersey/ Atco Raceway) and I'm sure even more up their way. They have some of the fastest run's I've ever seen from Supras...though I can't remember #'s off hand. I'm sure you'll be up there if not beyond...an 8 second run from your other project car is just incredible! Even more mind boggling is it's street legal...can't imagine taking that beast out on the interstate! Bikes can't even keep up with you- see ya Hyabusa!

back on topic - that's a good point about the 20x lens on the canon... i had moved away from the GL2 because i had read that the image quality is superior on the Sony due to the larger CCD's and the low-light performance was WAY better... plus the Canon has issues with motor noise on the built-in mic? but it seems that the sony vs. canon debate is about as religious as the SLR canon vs. nikon debate...
Yeah 1/4" CCD's can't compete with 1/3" CCD's. You can get the VX2100 and get a telephoto lense adapter to possibly come close to the 20x optical of the GL-2. It really depends on how much your looking to spend. They both are great cams- and both have advantages and disadvantages in this application.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion