polarizer on pd170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

polarizer on pd170

I cannot for the life of me fit a tiffen 58mm polarizer on the front of the PD170 prime lens while keeping the standard sunshade on. Am I doing something wrong; am I just stupid? What's the point of having a polarizing filter on when I have no protection from flares and glare. Please, I'm desparate!

Thanks
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

BHPhoto.com should have what you need either individually or in a set. Thats where I got mine a few years ago.
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Don, do you mean an adapter?

Thanks
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Wrangler

Unless there is something quite different with the polarizer, you should be able to remove the lens shade, install the polarizer and then place the sunshade back on.

That said, the sunshade will get in the way of your manipulation of the polarizer and you may require a round sunshade that screws into the front of the polarizer.

I have a PD150 and could be wrong about your 170 because it is possible that Sony has changed the design in that area.
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Mike. I tried a regular 58mm tiffen round polarizer and the end of the filter is larger than the opening for the sunshade. I tweaked with it for over an hour to no avail. Maybe I'm just stupid, I don't know. I'm thinking about buying the Century optics 4x4 filterholder/sunshade and just bypassing the hole deal.

Thanks for the help though,

Michael
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

Even if you get a polarizer to fit, you still have to operate it. That's why a circular screw-in lens shade in 58 mm may be a good idea. It would have to be for a wide-angle lens i.e., not too deep. Best to try different candidates on-camera and look for vignetting.

The Matte Box is certainly a nice tool if you can afford it and, for most applications, your needs are stationary.
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Michael,
Your PD-170 comes with another lens shade for the wide angle lens. Use that shade when you want to use your polarizer filter. It's a two-part shade. The front part twists off to allow you to attach the WA lens, and you can do the same to attach your polarizer. With the front part attached, there is room to adjust the polarizer.
While I like the convenience of the 170's rubber sunshade with the levered lens cover, I use the WA shade instead because of the ease of attaching the WA adapter and my polarizer.
You don't need to buy the Century filterholder, unless you really want to! : )
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Allen,

Thanks for the good advice. I'll give that a go.
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion