White balance question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 7th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

White balance question

I'm shooting with a PD170 and have a white balance question. If I white balance and shoot in manual mode and then switch to auto mode does the camera maintain the white balance or try to rebalance it when switched to auto?
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No, everything becomes automatic, with the exception of any custom setting you have made. (custom preset button on top part of camera).

Once you go back to manual, you will go back to the manual settings you previously had.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I shoot weddings and sometimes there just isn't time to rebalance but I'm not always happy with the auto white balance. Any suggestions?
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hmmm...

I've never shot a wedding before, but I did shoot my niece's wedding recently (not on a pro level). I did not use the auto-balance.

I used 3 white coffee filters - another suggestion on this board:) and pointed the camera in the general direction of where I would be doing most of my recording, and I white balanced off of that. I was pleased with the results. At the reception (a completely different place), I did the same thing, used the coffee filters and read the white balance off of that.

If you're doing pro work, I can't speak for myself, but I would keep all my settings on manual. I'm sure someone on this board will see this post and give you more advice.

Hope this helps! Oh, I have a VX2000, by the way. Pretty much the same as the PD170, more or less.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Lazy bum that I am, I usually just use the indoor or outdoor setting in most circumstance. THEN I color correct in post. The bride's dress is usually what I use to white balance in post.

I find it too futile to keep white balancing in many weddings where the rooms have "mixed" color temperatures (light sources).

At least I'm not under that kind of gun (run & gun) in post.

Not a "right" way . . . just my way and why I do it.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Craig, I hear ya. That's the same problem that I am facing, for the same reasons and that's how I am currently handling it also.

Tony

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion