Faulty power switch on VX-2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Faulty power switch on VX-2000

I have a VX-2000 that is several years old. I am starting to have a problem when I put the camera in VCR mode. Occasionally the camera will load the tape, then shut down after a few seconds. Sometimes it then lights back up after a 5-10 seconds and tries to start back up, only to again shut down after a few seconds.

So far I have never seen this problem in camera mode. Based upon the symptoms I am very suspicious of the power switch on the camera. I think that the switch has developed bad contacts in the VCR position. When the camera turns on and starts drawing current through the switch, a voltage drop starts to develop across the contacts which lowers the voltage to the camera. As more current is drawn the resistance across the contacts increases slightly, thereby causing a large enough voltage drop that the camera decides it needs to shut off. Once the camera has shut down, the voltage drop across the contacts decreases, thereby raising the voltage to the camera, which causes it to turn back on. This oscillation is similar to the automobile starter issues when you have a faulty connection between the battery and the starter components.

I have some questions for those of you with VX2000's.
1. Have you ever had a similar problem?
2. Was it the switch?
3. Has anyone ever taken the switch off and tried to
clean it or repair it?
4. Has anyone ever replaced the power switch? Where would
you get the replacement?

Note that the battery connection could cause the same problem. However, I have used multiple batteries and have inspected the contacts closely for corrosion. The fact that the camera doesn't seen to exhibit this symptom in camera mode also leads me away from this diagnosis. I don't think the battery connection is the problem.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:04 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Why not send the camera to Sony for repair?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I actually have a Mack warranty that is in effect. I am concerned with how long it will take to get my camera back if I send it to them. I'm nervous that it might take 5-6 weeks to get it back, in which case I have a problem with the weekly events that I'm currently filming. If the switch repair were a straightforward thing to do and the switch were not expensive, then I might do it myself. I am pretty experienced doing electronics work so it might be the fastest and least expensive way to go. Saving the shipping cost to Mack might offset most of the cost of the switch, and sending to Sony is likely to be $200+.

Has anyone had experience sending things to Mack? Do they turn around the camcorders quickly?
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:02 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Why not ring them up and tell them your concern. That you need
a working camera for running contracts. Keep in mind that if you
fix something yourself (or try to) it will probably void your warranty
if they find out. In the worst case you could perhaps rent another
unit while your own is in repair?

I know this will cost money. But if you make money with your
camera this all comes down to extra expenses you know you
will have somewhere down the road. Businesses have repair
costs all the time for various reasons.

Your theory sounds nice but what if you are wrong and there is
a much more serious problem somewhere in the camera?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion