Will Sony DVcams Adopt New CCD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 21st, 2002, 01:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Will Sony DVcams Adopt New CCD's

Just wondering if anyone has heard news about whether Sony will start using the higher-resolution camera CCd's that are out (like the GL2, Panasonic's DXV100, etc.). From what I've heard, the PD150 had the best image but may need to play catch-up.

Anyone heard anything..... Bueller?

Thanks,

Jeff Patnaude
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 01:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

The CCD pixel count in the PD-150 is above the number of pixels needed to construct a 720 by 486 pixel color image.

The high pixel-count CCD's pay for that by generally having a lower sensitivity to light. It is the number of photons falling on a sensor that determines the luminance signal. That is, larger pixels, more light sensitivity all other things being equal (AOTBE).

It is just like silver-based film. Fast films are grainy because larger grains are more sensitive.

From what I hear, the PD-150 still has the best image and the best low light performance. Pretty unbeatable. Doesn't mean someone won't eventually beat its performance.

BTW, Sony probably makes the Panasonic CCD anyway. There are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of camcorder CCDs in Japan
Old August 22nd, 2002, 09:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah i think Mike is right
in real world no company builds up it's own camera till the end. sony does'nt make good lenses for opitcs, so they buy them in. sony is a good CCD maker, so why do not sell them?
sony guys told, that they found surprisingly DSR-300 CCD chips in JVC G500 cameras
as one of our customers says "i don't care what company made my camera, if it's sony"
the same is going on in computer world, you find only two main makers for pc processors
Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion