PAL in the US at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 25th, 2002, 05:50 AM   #1
Major Player

PAL in the US

hopefully last question i'll have for this forum (which has helped me out) before purchasing my pd150:

i currently live outside the US and therefore will buy a pal system pd150p.

however, in about two years from now, i will be moving to the US.

i know i'll have to get a new 110v battery charger, but that's no problem. the big question is:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO WORK WITH A PAL SYSTEM CAMERA IN THE U.S. OR IS A PD-150P IN THE STATES JUST A 3.5 LB. PAPER WEIGHT?

is there an efficiant, and not very expensive way to convert pal to ntsc? or is this something i don't even have to worry about?

since i'm not into weddings and events, and will mostly be shooting documentaries for television, will i be able to live with my pal camera, edit on final cut pro with not too much hassle?

i know the technical difference between NTSC and PAL regarding frames per second, but am not aware of compatibility difficulties of the two systems and complications that may arise due to the differences between them.

many thanks, adihead
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: PAL in the US

<<<-- Originally posted by adi head : hopefully last question i'll have for this forum (which has helped me out) before purchasing my pd150:

i currently live outside the US and therefore will buy a pal system pd150p.

however, in about two years from now, i will be moving to the US.
------------------------
My first recommendation is to sell the PAL unit there and buy a new one (or its replacement) here. The exchange may not cost as much as you would think and could well be paid for in future savings and a hassle-free work environment.

i know i'll have to get a new 110v battery charger, but that's no problem. the big question is:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO WORK WITH A PAL SYSTEM CAMERA IN THE U.S. OR IS A PD-150P IN THE STATES JUST A 3.5 LB. PAPER WEIGHT?
---------------------
Yes you can use the camera. You will then need to convert the video to NTSC to use locally available and inexpensive video components such as TV sets. Or if you have the proper multi-format equipment, you could run PAL forever, I guess.

BTW, most battery chargers from Sony that are sold in the US are multi-voltage. If this is true in PAL-land, you may just have to order a new power cord (unless the cord is attached to the charger. Even then, an adapter [get it before you leave home] will probably allow it to work here.

The only problem you might find is that you may get some interference pulsing from 60-cycle lights. I got this the last time I shot in the UK using a Hi-8 camera and shot under 50 cycle lights. The solution is to change the shutter speed I'M TOLD.

is there an efficiant, and not very expensive way to convert pal to ntsc? or is this something i don't even have to worry about?
------------------------------
PAL to NTSC conversion is not very expensive at all when you want to go to VHS tape. I don't know if, for example, you need to master to DIGIBeta. But if you are having an outside agency conform your master, they can probably do the conversion on one end or the other.

If you can get logged onto the USENET newsgroups rec.vide.desktop or rec.video.production, you might post these same questions there. I'd look for answers from someone like Bill Farnsworth.

since i'm not into weddings and events, and will mostly be shooting documentaries for television, will i be able to live with my pal camera, edit on final cut pro with not too much hassle?
---------------------
Are you going to send the final work 'back home' or submit it for US viewing? If the answer is, the US, assuming you are going to be submitting your work to the big boys like PBS, the cost of an NTSC camera is going to get lost in the cost noise levels. I do understand if you are going to try this on a shoestring and then leverage yourself up, finding $ as you go.

Log on to PBS and look at what they call, I believe, their Red Book. The cost to conform to their demands is pretty high the last time I evaluated them.

i know the technical difference between NTSC and PAL regarding frames per second, but am not aware of compatibility difficulties of the two systems and complications that may arise due to the differences between them.
------------------
The answer to that has to come from someone who has gone through the process you are anticipating and for the end-use you are targeting. There are issues of frame-rate, number of lines, etc. Probably an email or two to service agencies you might employ once you get here would help. Most of them have Web sites and should respond to an odd email or two.

It is obviously done all the time. Even live over broadcast television.

many thanks, adihead -->>>
Old August 26th, 2002, 04:06 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks mike
Adi Head is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion