Optional lenses for the VX2000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 21st, 2002, 08:57 AM   #1
Skater107

Optional lenses for the VX2000?

Any lens suggestions for the VX2000? both Wide and Zoom? are there any vendors that other peeps would recommend using and/or NOT using for the VX2000?

Skater
Old June 21st, 2002, 09:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i've used Century Optics www.centuryoptics.com
i like them more than sony's lenses

Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 01:06 PM   #3
Wrangler

I too like the Century products. I just wish they would furnish a case for the lens. Or at least offer one as an option.
Old June 21st, 2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Century has a bayonet mount for it's WA lense. A similar mount is due out for the telephoto. That's a whole lotta glass to be hanging off of those plastic threads.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:35 PM   #5
Wrangler

I assume you mean that the bayonet mount does not use the filter threads, right?

BTW, the threads on the front of the PD-150 are definitely metal.
Old June 21st, 2002, 03:01 PM   #6
Trustee

I'll have to check again, but I would swear that the VX2000 filter threads were plastic. The PD150 is supposed to be the same.

The lens fits into the bayonet mount that the lens shade uses.
Old June 21st, 2002, 03:10 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

These days just about all filter threads, even on inexpensive 1-chip consumer camcorders, are indeed metal. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 04:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Yes there is a thin metal bushing set into the outer lens barrel. The bayonet lugs and outer barrel are a hard plastic. I know all my other cams and lenses have metal filter rings but things are getting strange out there. Some cameras have "composite"lenses.
Old August 25th, 2002, 10:52 PM   #9
Tom_Lopez

Kenko makes a pretty impressive .65 WA for the VX2000 that has a bayonet mount as well. It is full zoom through and in my opinion is very comparable in quality to the Century lens. I saw a post somewhere on the web which posted comparisons of images by both and showed little to no difference between the two. It is rumored that THK/Kenko makes the lenses and Century imports them from Japan, slaps their name on the barrel and sells them for double the Kenko prices. Check out the THK site for more info but the lenses are amazingly similar in design. I own one and can't find a single problem to complain about it. It even comes with a leather case too!
Old August 26th, 2002, 02:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Tom, whats Kenko's web site address? I've tried a search but to no avail.
Chris Tsamados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 02:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

as far as the century stuff in concerned...it's pretty robust...
the lens body is the case...i've seen seriously abused fisheye lenses with no damge to image quality...i've heard claims of having the glass hit very hard and not even scratching, something i am not going to bother testing myself though.

i understand that different colours of light travel through glass at different speed and at different angles...i'm assuming that part of the challenge in building a lens is to make sure that your reds and blues arrive at the same spot and so on...i have a cheap wide angle adaptor which offsets the colours a bit...sort of a neat effect sometimes, but it does make the focus suck a bit.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 05:08 AM   #12
Tom_Lopez

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Tsamados : Tom, whats Kenko's web site address? I've tried a search but to no avail. -->>>

this should take you directly to the pro model bayonet lens for the vx2000's
Old August 26th, 2002, 05:08 AM   #13
Tom_Lopez

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Tsamados : Tom, whats Kenko's web site address? I've tried a search but to no avail. -->>>

this should take you directly to the pro model bayonet lens for the vx2000's

http://www.thkphoto.com/catalog/kenkoweb_v2/kenindex.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion