Difference of ProMist and SoftFX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 26th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Difference of ProMist and SoftFX

I think I read SoftFX was newer and does a better job of softening video. Anyone REALLY know? And what strength -
1/4, 1/2, etc. thanks,
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

I ignorantly purchased a 1 strength since what one person calls soft may not be what I call soft.

A 1 strength is fairly strong in my estimation. I'd GUESS that the 1/2 or 1/4 might be more appropriate.

However, once I received them, I wondered why I bought them. I can achieve the same effect in my NLE. A gausian blur should give the same effect and I can even mask it to work in very specific areas. A little work with contrast and brightness and I can emulate a Blackmist or other fancy filter.

So my filters stay in the case. I think they are important if one uses a linear editing system and these effects cannot easily be created.

The downside of filtering the video on the camera is that you remove an editing choice and perhaps, later, a different use for the clip. So I resist using filters at all except for lens protection (clear), polarizers, and neutral density.
Old August 26th, 2002, 07:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Mike:

Most pro shooters would say that filtering on camera is MUCH more effective than in post. But maybe that is changing.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 11:38 PM   #4

I like to use the Tiffen Warm Black Pro Mist 1/4 on the XL1S, usually with the UltraPol Polarizer.

The most popular filter is still the Black Pro Mist 1/2.

Not every shoot calls for a mist or diffusion filter, but it can certainly enhance a look when properly applied. A 1/4 value is a safe value to use with most any camera.

Don't forget that the XL1S and GL2 allow you to soften the sharpness, more like a Soft filter or Diffusion filter would. A Mist filter will also add some halation (or glowing effect) around any bright/ white objects in your image, such as lights or reflections. The amount of halation you will get is determined by the value of the Mist filter you decide to use.

Tiffen has some good examples on their web site (tiffen.com). Also, Ira Tiffen (who has won awards for his designs!) has a very comprehensive guide to filtration at http://www.tiffen.com/camera_filters.htm

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2002, 09:01 AM   #5
Wrangler

Rich,

You may be right and I certainly like the work I've seen. But I'm not certain, mainly because I haven't taken the time to do an A-B comparison, if the optical filter can be matched by NLE software filters.

What I would like is a black pro mist effect on skin tones only. Like the higher-end cameras that blur (light skin only, unfortunately) skin tones.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion