170 supplied mic - hum? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 13th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #1
Trustee

170 supplied mic - hum?

is there an inherent hum with the supplied mic? i've noticed when i use the mic (only for wild souind), i get a noticable hum on playback. clean sound with both my me66 and e100.

anyone care to comment,

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

As has been posted and discussed many times, here and other forums, the supplied Sony mic (NV-1) is a very general purpose very NON directional mic that will pick up sound from virtually any direction including behind the camera, and will also pick up most camera sounds, not to mention that with the AGC on it rwally brings it in. There are occassions that I will use the mic but by and large, it sits in my "tool box" lonely, sad and waiting to be taken out to "play" with the other mic's.

I prefer the ME66 for 99% of the work I do. (at least for now)

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I do think the NV-1 has value and use. When I use the other channel to send a wireless mic in, the NV-1 is nice in that I have a not to directional mic to pick up wild sound.

Sometimes it's good when you get audio off axis that you wouldn't get with other mics. It all depends on whether you want/need that in a given recording situation.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Leslie,
Craig and Don make good points. I haven't experienced any hum with the NV-1, although with noise reduction turned off and in a quiet location it can pick up the cam's zoom noise, which may sound like a short-duration hum.
I use the mic as Craig describes.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

No hum from my on-board mike... but as you have discovered the on-board mike isn't in the same league as your other mikes...

sounds like you may have a bad on-board mike....

if you can borrow another one from a dealer and check it out.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #6
Wrangler

The camera can produce a significant amount of noise. Put your ear next to the tape door when you are running tape. That may be the source of the noise.

I regularly use that microphone off-camera by about 10-20 feet and have no hum problems with either of the 2 I have. I do get some background noise due to the almost omni nature of the microphone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion