Autofocus with the VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Autofocus with the VX2100

I just purchased a used VX2100. It appears to be in superb shape but I don't know if what I am experiencing with "autofocus" is typical of the camera model or if I am having a problem.

It appears that autofocus does not work at times. Particularly if I am zoomed in pretty far. I can manually put the camera out of focus and hit the autofocus switch and it will focus instantly. If I zoom in close on a framed picture on the wall 6 feet away it doesnt seem to try to focus.

I compare to my Panasonic DVC80 and it works at all times unless zoomed from a foot away.

Also it seems to work better if its not adding gain to the picture.

Any ideas what is happening?
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

There is a limit as to how close the camera will focus and it isn't very close at full zoom. Six feet is around the close limit IIRC (I don't have my manual at hand right now.)

I'm not entirely certain what your concern is about (in the sense of where the camera, and the target are in relationship to each other and the zoom positon (tele or wide) of the lens.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

You might have answered my question. If I stand and point the camera at a picture that is about 2' by 2' and about 7-8 feet away and zoom in on it, when the picture fills the screen the camera seems to make no attempt at all to "autofocus" on it.

I then switch to "manual" mode, put it drastically out of focus and hit the "autofocus" switch and nothing changes. It doesn't try to seek. Nothing happens.

If I am not zoomed out or zoomed 1/2 way or less it seems to work. At least if I am at 1/2 zoom and I put it in manual focus mode, and put it out of focus, switching to "auto focus" instantly focuses the camera.

I do not have this problem with my Panasonic DVC80. It always tries to use autofocus unless I am zoomed on something a foot away.

I did not try this outdoors with a lot of light but rather tried it indoors when it required 3 or 6 db of gain. I do not know if this makes a difference.
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Wrangler

Here's how to tell

1. Set up at the problem distance and zoom wide. Autofocus should bring the image right in. Now start zooming and at a point about 1/2 or so of the zoom range, the image will go out of focus because the lens won't focus any closer.

Kind of a PITA since my Sony Hi-8 would focus on dirt on the filter.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the PD-170 and the DVC-80. What you are seeing is the same as what I experience. Often when a bride or bridesmaid is at a distance comming down the isle at a wedding and I try to zoom and focus, the Sony does a poor job of autofocusing on the subject. I end up having to back off the soom so it can focus correctly. The panasonic always gets it right. In that way the Panny is has a better autofous thant the sony.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion