Yikes! Bought PD170 - but the FX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 31st, 2005, 05:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

>>Oh, and there's one other difference which could really be significant... the Z1 also shoots PAL.<<

To me, as a person who has lived in Europe and may go back, this seems huge. I was dismayed when I started researching these cams to find out that there was an NTSC/PAL divide in the recording devices.
Georg Herbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:49 AM   #17
Regular Crew

>>I still believe as a wedding cam Georg made a VERY wise decision- and don't think others should taunt him making him feel like he didn't make a good investment (not you Boyd but Chris Murphy I was referring to).
<<

That's okay. I don't mind this at all. I'm still within the return period for the PD170. It *is* a nice cam, I can testity to that. But I do sense that I've purchased at the end of a product cycle -- which is not always a bad thing (bugs having had a chance to get worked out) -- but it's not so good purchasing at the end of a *technology cycle,* when the succeeding technology is due to make the preceding one obsolete. That seems to be where we find ourselves now.

But I have always been disgusted at the low resolution of NTSC/SD. I got my first taste of just how bad it looks when I lived in Europe and saw the markedly better definition of their PAL screens.
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:12 PM   #18
New Boot

I recently bought the PD170 also, and asked myself the same questions (took a long hard look at the Z-1)....I decided to stay with the 170, in about 2-3 years, assuming HDV starts taking over as expected, I plan to update (new camera, new computer with new HW/SW to handle the HDV, and let's not forget a new HD monitor) ...but for now, for ME, it makes more sense to stay with DV....heck, maybe by then there will be a 3 chip 2/3" HDV (or maybe even true HD)cam with some decent glass on it for a reasonable price?!?...
George Creasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:07 AM   #19
Regular Crew

George, a bit unrelated, but how loud is your PD170's tape drive when recording? Is the mic picking up the hum?
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:11 AM   #20
Trustee

is anyone asking for hd? do people have 16:9 sets? what's it being edited on?

i'm a bit out of the loop nowadays, but from what i can gather, it seems the only interest really being generated is hype.

i've never gone with the first generation of anything (incl. digibeta when it first came out). let the others have the nightmares....

170 and still happy

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:06 AM   #21
Trustee

Don't Fret, Georg

It's easy to get excited about the new HD technology. I'm the biggest sucker for well-designed ad layouts. When I saw the color inserts listing the specs for the Z1U, I grabbed the nearest box of tissue. THAT was my next camera. Then, like the male prostitute I am, I saw the pictures of the new, under $10,000.00 JVC high def cam with interchangeable lenses, the Z1U instantly became the ex-girlfriend and I started courting fantasies about the JVC. I tore the heart out of myself fantasizing about being able to play with the big boys.

Guess what? I took a deep breath, gave myself a maturity pep talk and realized that I can make beautiful images with my PD 170 and XL1s. After all, isn't that what DV Info is all about?

Georg, I understand your frustration but believe me, you are sitting pretty with your new 170. Make beautiful pictures. Light well. Compose your shots well. Direct your actors well. Edit well.

Fare Thee Well.
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM   #22
Major Player

I still love my VX2000! : )
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:20 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Just went to WEVA town hall NYC the other day. Boy was Sony and WEVA pushing the Z1.

Most of the audience wasn't buying it from my conversations.
Why?

No delivery medium. BluRay and HDDVD will be out by end of year but with format war and a good YEAR OR MORE before market penetration, clients needing it are going to be few. By then NEXT generation HDV will be out.

Z1 is poor low light performance. Not good for dark receptions

They claimed that clients will come back LATER when they finaly do buy HDTVs to get HD copies. I'd say that's either not very likely nor not really going to bring any serious additional income.

Think of it this way. Figure around $9000 for Z1 and the HDV deck. Is it going to bring you $9000 MORE of business to cover that cost (plus interest if you're buying on credit). Will you find that in two years the Z2 (or competitor) will have better low light performance, TRUE 24p, etc. for 1/3 lower price?

Yes HDV is the wave of the FUTURE. Give it a year or maybe two.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:10 AM   #24
Wrangler

Yeah they were sure stuffing it down our throats during the Town Meeting huh! Btw, I was with that Philly cheering section. lol
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:18 AM   #25
Regular Crew

>>is anyone asking for hd? do people have 16:9 sets? what's it being edited on?

i'm a bit out of the loop nowadays, but from what i can gather, it seems the only interest really being generated is hype.
<<

Leslie,

go into any electronics store these days. All the rage is HD and 16:9 tvs. They're expensive, and not everyone has one, but almost everyone wants one.

So, given that we all but know the future, the question filmers have to ask themselves is this: do we want to be ready for that future, future-proof our investments and the films we currently make, or do we want to wait till everyone has HD equipment and play catch-up?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:21 AM   #26
Regular Crew

>>Georg, I understand your frustration but believe me, you are sitting pretty with your new 170. Make beautiful pictures. Light well. Compose your shots well. Direct your actors well. Edit well.
<<

Hugh, I'm well impressed with this 170. The quality of images I can take with it far surpasses what I had with the GL2. Frankly, I'll not know what I'm missing (yet) with the Z1 or FX1, since I doubt I'll get one. But those who have them are not exactly pining for the good old days. Know what I mean? So the question is for a new buyer (as I was), which is the wiser move? The 170 is great, but the wiser move may have been the FX1.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:51 AM   #27
New Boot

You are experiencing nothing more than "buyers remorse". I had the same thing but could not wait and I really do not regret going with a proven product with all the bugs worked out (including the hiss problem). The FX1 had a "recall" already due to an audio problem.....expect more. As another example I purchased a Nikon D70 when it first came out and now wait in terror for the ominous blinking green light.....which may or may not appear before the warranty wears out. It was the camera to get for a few months and now..... This will happen with the Sony HD cameras too..... The reality is that these are small purchases in video land not life and death decisions. I am waiting on a certification number (up here in Canada) on my first infomercial I shot and will have to convert DVCAM into Digital Betacam or Beta SP (with closed captioning at 175.00 per half hour no less). This is new stuff for me, but it puts things into reality.

Maybe the best thing to do is simply avoid - for the time being - those discussions where they just pattle about the latest gizmos as opposed to making video that has meaning.....no flame on anyone here. This discussion will have little relevance in a few years no matter what purchase you make - there is more to life and video producing than this issue.....trust me on this!

The only people who seem to come up to me on this issue in real life are the venders that sell the product.....
Maurice Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Maurice, don't worry. No tunnel vision here. No buyer's remorse, either. Forums such as this are, after all, about the topics we're discussing. Don't assume people don't have lives outside of what you read here.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM   #29
Inner Circle

People buying the FX1 and Z1 now will, IMHO, be the ones playing catch up. They will have spent between $3700-$5900 for a camera that will probably be like the VX1000 is compared to the VX2100 (or PD-170) a year or so from now. At the point HDTV and BluRay/HDDVD will have penetrated they will be shooting with older cameras while their competitors will be buying the newer FX2 /Z2 or whatever Panasonic and Canon have out at that point.

Unless you can make back the costs of the camera and then some in the next year . . . and the demand is NOT THERE NOW, you'll be "bleeding edge" rather than "ahead."

Unless you're shooting something that is going to have a LOOONG LIFESPAN (TV show for syndication for example) you won't gain anything.

If you're shooting a Movie or Doc that you HOPE will have future value maybe it's a worthwhile purchase. Heck for those, you probably would benefit NOW by shooting HDV. That's not the majority of us though.

Corporate videos, local cable spots, even weddings just don't have a long lifespan. I doubt that many clients will come back and spend more than a few bucks to reconvert weddings to HD. Even if you're doing $5000 weddings (and these are the folks who might have an HDTV on the horrizon) do you think they'll plunk down another grand 2 years from now for a new version? Maybe more like $100. Is that $100 really worth spending upwards of 9 Grand NOW for HDV camera and deck?

In this case, NEXT YEAR'S HDV camera will be better and more appropriate and profitable purchase when that time comes.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM   #30
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Georg Herbet : Don't assume people don't have lives outside of what you read here. -->>>

Well said Georg!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion