All About 16:9 Anamorphic Lens Adapter - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #31
Wrangler

Justin, yes.

Don, Thanks
Old March 14th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #32
New Boot

mike,

so you do know a place round here that rents such a beast, eh?

i floated you an email about this.

-justin
Justin Strock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #33
Wrangler

I haven't seen the email yet.

I'd give Adoph Gasser's a try. Or call Century and ask them who has it for rent.
Old March 14th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #34
New Boot

Gasser's ain't got it. but i will try calling Century, that's a good idea.

almost considered the PDX10 for this reason, but we have the 950s at school and i don't like them. plus i wanted the low light capability and i like the built-in handle when you have a big honking mic off the front.

wish i could have waited to see if an update was in store at NAB, but my project is now.
Justin Strock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #35
New Boot

16:9 Versus Anamorphic Adapter?

I am prepping to shoot a feature-length film on DV. I was planning to do this anyway, but after just seeing PERSONAL VELOCITY, I am even more encouraged.

I like the 1.85 shooting ration. Actually, I'd love to shoot wider in something like Cinemascope if it were available.

The camera will be a SONY PD-150.

This camera has 16:9 capability, but I've been hearing about ANAMORPHIC adapters and that shooting in 16:9 reduces the number of picture lines and resolution. I thought that 16:9 squeezed the 4:3 lines down - or widened them out.

Could anyone explain the technical difference?

Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:07 PM   #36
Major Player

Mike there have been tons of threads concerning this here on DVinfo. I tried to post a link to the search but it only linked the search page not the results. Do a search here and you will find all kinds of input. Here is another link that may help.

http://www.megameme.com/vx1609.htm
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #37
Wrangler

Yes, there really has been extensive discussion of this recently. I suggest you browse through the PDX-10, XL-1 and PD-150 forums going back a week or two. Some of the discussions are ongoing still.

But in a nutshell, the PD-150 creates the 16:9 effect by just cropping off the top and bottom of the 4:3 image. Then it stretches it anamorphically so it will be recocognized on a widescreen TV. But basically you've reduced the horizontal resolution of your image to 360 lines. See some examples I posted at http://greenmist.com/pdx10

Also, not to nitpick, but the correct aspect ratio for 16:9 is 1.78. However if you'd like to play with the cinema effect I suggest you visit this site http://www.streamovie.com/vx2000.htm. Here you can download some chroma key mattes and put them on a memory stick, then use the memory mix function to letterbox at 1.85 or 2.35. Of course in doing this you are even further reducing your vertical resolution, but it might be fun to experiment with...

There are a couple inexpensive cameras now that can shoot in "real" 16:9, notably the PDX-10 and DV-953 from Panasonic.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #38
Wrangler

Boyd,

You meant to say that it reduces the vertical resolution to 360 lines, didn't you?
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #39
Wrangler

Oops, yep you're right Mike, mea culpa!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #40
Major Player

Widescreen adaptors

Is anyone using a widescreen adaptor (such as the ones sold by century optics or optex) with their vx2000/2100 or PD-150/170?

How do you like it? Are you getting distortion or vignetting?

The reason I'm asking is because it looks like for the next several years, the best sub-$5000 widescreen camera setup for wedding videographers (i.e., those who need good lowlight performance) is going to be a VX2000/PD-150 with an anamorphic adaptor. But I've heard mixed reviews on them. Would love to hear more from those who have actually used them.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #41
Inner Circle

There are mixed feelings about using anamorphics. First off you won't be able to focus so close and you'll lose a lot of wide-angle (though you'll gain a bit from the amamorphic itself - which is a wide-angle converter in the horizontal plane only). Your side-screen and viewfinder will both be distorted (horizontally compressed images) and this will take some getting used to if you're not using a 16:9 monitor while shooting. You'll get more flare and you'll need a good 16:9 hood.

On the plus side you'll beat the 16:9 of the PDX10 hands down. You'll be confident that the next camera up that's just noticeably better costs 3x as much. But remember this - 16:9 footage is less backwards compatible than 4:3. Older TVs will show it distorted and I find (doing lots of weddings a year) that if I shoot 4:3 then they can show it on whatever TV they like - the TV remote control can squeeze it, push it, bend it, shape it anyway they want it. Hey - this sounds like a song from the Small Faces in the 1960s.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
On the plus side you'll beat the 16:9 of the PDX10 hands down.
How so?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Gosh, where do I start? Low light sensitivity (3.5 stops better) more wide-angle, better DOF control, know what aperture and ND you're shooting with. much less CCD smear, longer battery life, 6 bladed diaphragm and reliable 'display' info. But then it's a lot more money, weight and bulk...

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #44
Wrangler

I see how those factors could add up to give better overall picture quality but just comparing widescreen to widescreen the PDX10 is of higher resolution than a VX2000/VX2100 with an anamorphic adapter.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #45
Tourist

Hi there I am practically new here, I would like to purchase a camcorder mainly for short films, and am considering mainly the pd170.
how does the 170's 16:9 hold, would anyone who shoots in this mode with the 170 for a competition be crazy do you feel that an anamorphic adapter is the way to go?
I have been reading reviews all over the place. some say that the panasonic dvx100 is the way to go if you want to do films. but the 100 and 170 are very close to colour reproductions and so on.
could anyone suggest me the way to go? sort of I feel that although the pana is a later technology the sony is still very good.
Stephen Rota is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion