All About 16:9 Anamorphic Lens Adapter - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 26th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #61
Inner Circle

The Century zoom through adapter is a bit of a mystery. Nobody seems to have ever seen one, and B&H has listed it on back order ever since the thing was announced a year or so ago. I’m not convinced Century has ever shipped any. Been meaning to call and ask them about that.

I’m also curious to know how well the Panasonic anamorphic performs with cameras that have 58 mm threads, like the GL2 and VX2000. Anybody tried it?

Interesting comment about the “tele adapter” from Century. Are you referring to the 1.6x tele-converter? Have you tried it? How do you mount it? Would love to see some screen shots.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #62
Regular Crew

No, I didn't have any tele converter but.... look at this:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/filmstylePD150.html and the link to Century : http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/prodv/65-75/16x_tele-converter/index.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=142095&is=REG

I guess the adapter is from the DVpro list.

-------------------

How do you add a link here?
Lasse Bodoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Pretty neat. I've always wanted to try piggy backing a wide angle adapter. I wonder if that's the Century zoom through? It looks like it could be the regular Century anamorphic.
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Yes , it is a regular 16:9 and a WA on the picture. But if it works than it has to work with the tele converter. More tele -> more shallow focus.
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:18 AM   #65
New Boot

I am planning on buying a Optex 16:9 adaptor, and a Century Optics Mattebox. Does the matte box have enough room on the bars to mount a 16:9 adaptor lens between it and camera lens?
Shealan Forshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:49 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Yes, I guess. But take a look at this:

http://www.cavision.com/Mattbox/4x4ClampOn.htm

it is better and cheaper as I know.
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #67
Major Player

Anamorphic adapter fully zoom through?

Is there such a thing as a fully zoom through anamorphic adapter for the PD170? From the posts I searched, the Century Optics adapter does not seem work well at extreme tele and wide.

Are there any other manufacturers that produce quality anamorphic adapters for the Sony PD170 that work at any focal lengths in auto focus? Also, is it possible to screw on wide angle or telephoto adapters? Or am I just dreaming?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Century's new anamorphic is fully zoom through, but hard to get. You can buy one from them, but at retail. Nobody else seems to be able to keep it in stock. DV Mag recommends the Panasonic, which is between the price of the top end and lower end Century adapters. At this stage, I'd probably stick with the original Century. You can get good used deals.
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #69
Regular Crew

I just purchased mine from B&H in NY. They didn't have it in stock, but if you sign up for the Notify Me When In Stock, you will get a pretty quick reply.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Really? I think you are officially the first person on these boards to have reported even seeing one. How do you like it?
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #71
Inner Circle

No, it's not possible to use supplimentary wide-angle and /or telephoto converters when you use an anamorphic. You could use a close-up lens though.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Several years ago I asked Century about adding a wide angle adapter to the anamorphic and was told by one of their techs that some people used a clamp-on adapter ring to mount one of their professional wide angles. She didn't seem to think it was a very good a idea, but people were definitely doing it. I agree about the close-up lens. I've tried both a drop in lens and Series 9 dual element achromatic and they both work surprisingly well, but only at a very precise distance. It significantly extends the zoom range too, but after doing a few tests, it doesn't appear to extend the range quite as much as I had once thought.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Me am like the anamorphic adapter alot... ALOT... ALOT I SAY!!!

I put my name on the notify list at B&H and within two days got an email saying it was available for purchase. It arrived a few days later. I've had it for about two weeks now.

I spent an afternoon shooting with it, the wide angle adapter, normal mode, and the fake 16:9 the camera does to compare. Wide angle adapter and anamorphic are no comparison, but the anamorphic compared to the fake 16:9 is a blessing. It looks so much more clear when viewed on my Sony Pro Monitor in the edit bay.

The only bad thing is making sure you get the lens lined up correctly. There were a few shots where the rotating lens was not perfectly perpendicular. The shots look okay, but you can tell there is a slight wonkyness to them.

Other than that... ALOT I SAY!!!

Cheers
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #74
Inner Circle

I found it's a lot easier to get the lens aligned after putting on the sunshade -- the bottom edge gives you a nice long line that you can align with the bottom of the camera. Of course, that's assuming you got it on the adapter right. I'm dying to come up with a reason to rotate the lens while shooting. A drug sequence maybe? You can get pretty funky effects.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #75
Tourist

DS-WS13-SB 1.33 Anamorphic Converter

Hi,

Thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.centuryoptics.com/pdf/CpPD170.pdf

anyone had any experience of using one?

bryan
Bryan Fieldhouse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion