vx2000 - custom preset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

vx2000 - custom preset

What settings do you guys use in this function? I recently came up on it and i'm wondering what some of the vx2k users have it set on , if they use it at all..
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #2
Trustee

How you use the Custom Preset really depends on how you would like to tweak the VX2000's picture (if you want to tweak it at all); after all, that's why it's called Custom Preset.

Personally, in mine I have the sharpness set at -1, and the AE (Auto Exposure) at -1, due to the fact that the auto exposure is too bright for my taste otherwise.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 05:22 PM   #3
Major Player

what exactly is the sharpness feature performing?i really can't tell what it does. Can anyone please explain in detail? Like if i'm zooming into a flower, will the petal edges look sharper in contrast to the background? bit confused..
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have both my VX2000s set at -2 clicks on the AE custom preset, and +1 on the sharpness. The former because - like Christopher - I like my footage slightly richer and darker, and the latter just because I like the 'snap' better.

'Sharpness' is a misnomer as it doesn't resolve any more detail, it simply ups the edge contrast. It's easy to go too far (think VHS) and the video-look this gives is ghastly. Many folk like it set down a click, especially for weddings (which is portraiture mainly).

The beauty of video is that it allows you to quickly, cheaply, repeatedly and reliably experiment. Till the cows come home.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

In post, when I match the pd 170 with a drs 390, I have to add contrast to the 170's footage because the 390's footage is sharper.

I think adding more sharpness on the 170's custom preset would match the two cameras better. I am adding 3 notches of sharpness for the next wedding to see if I can avoid adding contrast on the 170's footage in post.

Is this a good idea?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't think it is a good idea Richard. Film a bit of a newpaper at the normal sharpness setting and again with the sharpness upped by three notches. Just look at what this has done to the image by way of edge distortion, shadow and general nastiness. Of course this is being done to people's faces too.

You want sharper images? Then don't filter the lens, don't use wide-angle converters, shoot at f/4 by using the ND filters and use a tripod.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7
New Boot

Colour level +1
Sharpness -1
WB shift +2
AE shift 0
You can view my work at flightlevel350.com type the number 6837 into the search box.
Simon P Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Another aviation film-maker, huh? :) Beautiful clip u have there.

I've had CP off all the time, but the AE -2 seems very-very useful as I also find the auto-exposure a bit too bright. I will give it a try on Friday doing a film shoot.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #9
Major Player

I like sharp images with clear define lines like the dsr 390.

-2 to for sharpness is not good for me as I am trying to match a cam that is sharper than the pd170.

Tom, I compromised as best I can +2 fpr sharpness instead of +3.

I tried viewing a newspaper on a HD monitor and there is increased alaising with the sharpness raised, but overall the image looks better to my eye and should match the DSR 390 better without having to add contrast in post.

My settings for the next wedding are:

color + 1
sharpness + 2
WB Shift +1
AGC Limit 12

I think these settings give an image that has brighter colors that are more red with more contrast.

I shoot weddings. These settings will be good for low light receptions which lose color and contrast.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion