White balancing help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 17th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

White balancing help

Hey everyone, im a film student in new orleans and this past summer I purchased a vx2100. I use it primarily for concerts/ videography but this past weekend, im working documentary on a short film being produced by some students. The short film is using the dvx100, but for a car crash scene, to minimalize takes we broke out the xl-1 and used my camera as a 3rd for coverage. Well the whole short is shot at night using some worklights which give off a yellow light. For the xl and the dvx they white balanced to a brown manilla envelope to get the yellow lights to have a blue tint, instead of using gels and losing light or doing it in post.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...lls/exit2s.jpg

I however was not able to get that effect at all. Now maybe im missing something completely but I could not seem to white balance to the manilla envelope. I was only able to roll thru a few white balance presets and then use the color and wb shift in the menu. Is it me or is there a white balance button im missing that i can put a card in front of the camera and just balance to that.

Basically it got me really annoyed and I researched the camera a good bit and in all the reviews never heard anything about a balancing and or coloring problem. Could someone more familiar with this camera please enlighten me on this, or break my heart and tell me its not possible.

Im pretty sure ive completely overlooked something because I dont see anything about this issue anywhere on the web, and its kind of a big thing.
Michael Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Tourist

Michael, Im very new to all this camera stuff myself, but I just bought a vx2100 and had read quite a bit on it.
For the white balancing... Set the switch on the back from auto lock to the middle position, hit the white balance button, roll the wheel on the back until you see a square and two triangles then hold in the wheel while viewing the envelope. That is the manual WB I think.
David Murnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks a bunch thats what i needed.

Mike
Michael Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Major Player

hey michael, do you know a guy named james roe? He's going to a film school in new orleans also. He's from kentucky, has a dvx100.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That name sounds really familiar. I might have worked with him on a film. Not really sure but I know that name from somewhere.

Mike
Michael Gilbert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion