White Balance problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #1
New Boot

White Balance problem

The last time we used our camera, it worked great. Tonight when we took it out to video, the color is all out of balance. The white balance does not appear to be working. We tried automatically setting the white balance and manually setting the white balance with no luck. The picture appears green. I checked the Sony website for repair and they have a flat rate fee of $450! Does anyone have any suggestions for having the white balance repaired? Is it possible to fix this? Where should we take it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Tourist

wow this is really crazy but the same exact thing has happend to me... except the only thing is that there is a yellow tint instead. im thinking that possibly one of the ccd's has gone bad in the camera but im not to sure.. if anyone knows anything about this problem please help us.
David Cahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Did you try the reset button?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #4
New Boot

Reset button

Yes, we did. Unfortunately that did not help. Any other suggestions?
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Does it actually write to tape with a green tint or is it just viewing the LCD or Viewfinder shows a tint?
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #6
New Boot

Yes, it was recording that way...it wasn't just the viewfinder.

I talked to someone from a Sony Authorized Repair shop and this is what he said: "The color information is not being processed, the red and blue. Only the luminance is getting through." We sent it in to be repaired. The estimate is around $300-400. Kind of stinks for a camera that is less than 3 years old. Have been very happy with it other than that.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #7
Wrangler

There has been a pattern of this happening to the 170/2100 cameras that hasn't shown up on the 150/2000 cameras nor the VX-1000's, etc.. I've not heard of it occuring to any other class of cameras at all.

I'd have another talk with the Sony tech rep (not the repair center) and suggest that they have a design/manufacturing defect that is all to prevalent and maybe they need to pay for the repairs.
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for the advice. I will call Sony on Monday and see what they say. I agree if it is a prevalent problem, they should pay for the repair.
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Tourist

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...000&news_id=95

here is the link to sony ther repairing the camera for free
David Cahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #10
New Boot

Sony comes through!

Looks like Mike Rehmus was right on the money....someone (not me) or enough someones must have done some complaining, but Sony has acknowledged a defect and is now covering the repairs for a period of 2 years! The previous poster posted the link to their website blurb. They have arranged to pick up our camera, will repair it within 2 weeks, and send it back. It will be covered from further problems for 2 more years. We are very impressed. After resigning ourselves that we would need to pay for this $700 repair, Sony is picking up the tab.
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #11
Wrangler

They have always been very good to me, replacing my PD150 with a brand new camera after about 15 months of use on the old unit. But you must talk with the tech reps, not the repair center to obtain this type of help.

It keeps me going back to Sony.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion