Lights for PD 170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Lights for PD 170

What other light systems would anyone recommend for the PD170. I currently use the Sony 10/20 watt. I looking for a good lighting system with dimmer. Any recommendations? I did a search and came up with nothing. I know there is something out there, I just couldn't find it.

Thanks

Bob
Bob Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Bob. I don't have an answer for you, but I was curious as to what you thought of the Sony light..
I was just bidding for a new (and very cheap) unit.

I might suggest you do a search on this site for camera/lighting kits and setup.. I'm sure the topic would have been covered.

Cheers.

Anthony
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have that 10+10 watt Sony light Anthony. Great little unit. No umbilical cables, uses the same NP-F batteries and is compact, light and efficient. I soften mine with a Lumiquest diffuser and this means I can use a 0.5x wide-angle converter as well. I'm a believer.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Excellent. Thanks Tom.
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Tom, how do you attach the diffuser to the light?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Anthony. Sorry it took so long to get back. The Sony 10-20 is not a bad unit. I haven't use the one I have much but I needed it the other night and all of a sudden only the 10 watt would work. Later on in the evening both started working. Don't like being let down like that. I want something better and I do need two lights for the two cameras I have.. I will look at the lighting section.

Thanks

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Milic
Hi Bob. I don't have an answer for you, but I was curious as to what you thought of the Sony light..
I was just bidding for a new (and very cheap) unit.

I might suggest you do a search on this site for camera/lighting kits and setup.. I'm sure the topic would have been covered.

Cheers.

Anthony
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

When you buy the Mini Softbox from Lumiquest, it comes with lots of self adhesive velcro. I've stuck this all around the front housing of the HVL-20DW2 and the Soft box attaches in seconds flat.

If I have the lamp on for 20 minutes or so it gets kinda hot and the adhesive behind the velcro goes soft and the pads move a bit, but it's not really a problem. The beauty is that people don't comlain of being blinded by the light and the shadows are wonderfully diffused. Not only that but I can use my 0.5X converter out on the dance floor.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Sto-fen #OM-EZ Omni-Bounce for Canon 540EZ/550EX and Sunpak PZ5000AF (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search) fits the 10 + 10 Watt Sony light perfectly (without blocking the vents) and softens the light nicely. It snaps right on without having to use any velcro.
John Rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks John

You are the man. The Stofen works great. Never even thought of that. Fits like a glove.

Bob
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #10
New Boot

Litepanels

http://litepanels.com/home.html

I do not yet own any of these, but the mini light panels look very nice.
Jack Markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Pardon my naivety.
I've just checked that link for the Sto-fen..
It looks like a marshmallow.. I can't visualise how it would work.. ahh.. anyone have links to help me understand?

Would this be appropriate for Sony's 10/20W light?

Ta!
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion