VX2100, XLR-adaptors and other questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 16th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #16
Major Player

I think you'll find all internal mics record the the tape transport hum in the background...you'll need a shock mount what ever.

Personally I have never used the internal mic.... my 897 fits on a shock mount bracket on the side of my FX1. Works very nicely and leaves the hotshoe free for the PAG light. The wireless receiver velcro's to the battery. All this hardware makes the camera a bit heavier but not too bad.

One final thing that I considered.. is that the audio accessories will work on a number of cameras...

I've upgraded twice now and just kept my Sign Video XLR box, and mics for the new camera...

I would have prefered the Z1 (or the PD10 over the TRV 950 I had previously) but the price differences in France are high over 2000 euros extra for a Z1..
the 1000 euros in accessories has been well used with my last too cameras.

All this said and done, both set ups will give you comparable results... I don't think ultimately you'll see a huge difference. It all boils down to your budget.

good luck
Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

well that's true. As I might upgrade to HDV in some years, it might be a better idea buying the accesories. But is there a sidebracket avaible for the vx2100? The doublebracket seems a bit unstable
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Thomas

I've not used a VX2100 so can't say how it might work...but doubt it would be too unstable... you probably won't be using your on camera light that much... I have the PAG6 and only use it occassionally.. it is the worst place to put a light if you don't have to..

On my TRV950 the double bracket was fine...

Otherwise if you want to order over the net from the US there is this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

the bracket I have now is from Creative video in the UK and was designed for the Z1... I modified it to fit the FX1 and it works very well.

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

okay... well yea it's not THAT often. But when I have to use it, it has to be stable.That bracket you just linked to, seems better than the other!

Anyone out there knows about a sidebracket for the VX2100?
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #20
Trustee

"But is there a sidebracket avaible for the vx2100? The doublebracket seems a bit unstable"

Thomas, take a look at this bracket from Mighty Wondercam. It's called the Mini Rover.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

1. Mounts to your cameras base (Where tripod plate would go).
2. Then attach Beahtek adapter the bottom of the Rover
3. Attach Quick Release plate to bottom of XLR Adapter

I use this currently with my VX2100 and it works great. I attach my Shotgun Mic to the top of the handle grip and this leaves my hot shoe free on my VX for my PAG6 light as well.

Whats even better the handgrip gives you great steadiness when the camera isn't attached to your tripod. I also clip my Samson Micro Receiver (Using bekt clip) upside down to the bottom of the Rover, which still leaves me free to open and cose the LCD screen door.

I would definitely go this route rather than using a 2 peice adapter on your hot shoe. It adds too much strain to the camera hot shoe for my taste. I used the Cool lUc bracket that someone showed here and hated it as the shotgun mic picked up too much vibration from the adapter.

Also take a look at the Ultimate Rover, as it has a Beahtek adapter built into the handgrip, complete with XLR ports and volume controls. It also has a cage underneath to hold your Wireless receiver.:

Go with the Mini Rover, Ultimate Rover, or something similar, you won't regret it.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #21
Inner Circle

http://tinyurl.com/aq8a3

Will show you the healthy L bracket I use with my VX2k. The kit gets pretty heavy, and using it with the L bracket shown on the bh photo website will have such a thing bending across one of the 'lightening' holes.

I am a GREAT believer in using an L bracket. It adds imeasurably to the steadiness of a shot, and when used with a powerful wide-angle converter and OIS turned on, I can glide up and down stairs with the fluidity as shown in the first Rocky films. Takes a bit of practice, but it can be done.

We seem to have gone off at a tangent in this thread, sorry.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #22
Regular Crew

hehe that L-bracket is huge. Too much for me ;)

Think I'm gonna go for the sidebracket Michael linked to. Just one thing though. How is that mounted? I'm imagining like this:

http://www.2084.dk/camera.gif

Correct?
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #23
Trustee

Thomas, if you are talking about the Ultimate Rover, then yes that's exactly how it mounts. Screws right into the bottom of your cameras QR Plate socket.

The same would be said for the Mini Rover, then you would screw your XLR box into the bottom of the Mini Rover.
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Okay thanks, that's what I meant. What about the sidebracket, how long is the distance from the camera? Cause the one Tom uses is just way too far, for my work, I think!
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #25
Trustee

"Okay thanks, that's what I meant. What about the sidebracket, how long is the distance from the camera?"

It should about an additional 3/4 of an inch with the LCD screen pulled out. you will find that using the handle on the bracket will give you a very fluid effect when going handheld (with practice of course).
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi,

Just got to take a closer look at this product

Mighty-Wondercam (Videosmith) ULTIMATE ROVER Handgrip with Dual XLR Audio Adapter - for Small Camcorders

But does it have phantom power. Pleade reply quickly... my friend is going to the states tommorow. So... :)

EDIT: And.. I can see the DX-6 and DX-8 with phantompower uses a 9V alcaline battery. These are quite expensive... hmm maybe I should just go without the phantompower, and get a mic with batteries... What do you say?

EDIT 2: I'm gonna make another thread in the audioforum
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #27
Trustee

The Ultimate Rover uses the Beachtek DX4 XLR adapter which is not Phantom Powered. The DX4 in the Rover won't need any power what so ever.
So you would just need a mic that takes batteries. It's not that bad really, as all of my mics use only 1 or 2 AA Batteries. AT822 (Stereo Mic), AT835B (Shotgun Mic), Soundprofessional Shotgun Mic etc.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Okay now you're here. But I find the rover extremely expensive. I pay 200 dollars for some metal?

And... I don't need the extra shoe, as I have that in the L bracket right?

So wouldn't this do then:

DX-4:

L-bracket (this has a shoe for mic/light right?)

A microphone with batteries:
What should I choose?

A monomic for the camera:
What should I choose?
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #29
Trustee

Thomas, what you suggested would work fine, but you would have to be a bit more creative as to where you put your wireless receiver.
What you get in the Ultimate Rover, is a custome built unit that is totally self contained, complete with DX4 XLR adapter in the handle and a cage for your wireless reciever, which is a bit easir to manage everything.
I use the above setup with the DX4 and the Mini Rover and it works well for me. As I said I just clip on my wireless receiver to the bottom side (upside down) of the Mini Rover.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Okay thanks. Will take the mic questions to the audioforum to get some different inputs.
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion