VX2100, XLR-adaptors and other questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 17th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #31
Wrangler

Be aware that if you select an adapter without Phantom capability, you are giving up the opportunity to use a lot of microphones...those that don't have internal battery capability.
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #32
Regular Crew

well it IS gonna be a freelance career besides my studio. So there's just a limit to what kind of money I can spend. As long as I get the possibilty to record two different audiotracks I'm okay I think. There must be a quality mic out there with batteries.

EDIT: Seems like no one is answering inthere.

Anyone inhere that can suggest a handheld and a monomic for replacing the onboard? I'm still not totally sure about wether to go with or without phantom power. Please help me suggest! I'm in a bit of a hurry

Last edited by Thomas Hartz-Olsson; November 17th, 2005 at 12:54 PM.
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #33
Major Player

I've pretty much decided now that I will get the DXA-4 without phantom power and in case I will need extra power, I will order this one: http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com...atterybox.html . It's a very professional microphone creator and their mics are used by pros around the world. I ordered a lavalier and should be receiving it soon.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #34
Wrangler

That battery supply isn't, AFAIK, a phantom power supply. It is meant to replace the power supply for consumer microphones like the Sony's.
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #35
Major Player

Hmm, could be! But for example the more expensive Beachtek also has a 9V battery inside, is it phantom power then?
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #36
Wrangler

The lablel, "Phantom power ," says nothing about the voltage level, it is a description of how the power is applied.

Phantom power is applied across the balanced signal lines and not between a signal line and ground as the power unit you suggested is very probably wired.

As to suggesting a microphone, I did when I mentioned the Shure 81C. But it does require phantom power.

I still think you'd be better off with a camera that supplies phantom power.
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Hartz-Olsson
So to me it sounds like the best solution (with the vx2100) is to get the beachtek adaptor. Put the mic for interviewing in channel 1 and a shotgun microfone in the shoe. But then I won't have the possibility of having a photolight connected. Am I right? Is this really the only possibility?
The Beachtek is a good solution, which allows independent control of each channel. The only drawback is that the audio level indicator only shows the combined output of both channels (the PD170 gives you separate level meters). For mounting multiple accessories on the shoe, I use an NRG 59111 Tri Mount ($29.99 US from www.nrgresearch.com) which gives me three more mounting points.
Alan Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion