Neutral density filters for PD 150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 16th, 2002, 09:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Neutral density filters for PD 150

Has anyone on the list shot with screwmount neutral density
filters on the PD 150 as opposed to utilizing the ND 1 and 2 controls on the camera? I'm wondering if screwmount lenses are going to give a noticeable difference.I'll try this myself and see how it looks,but was just wondering if anyone else has had this
experience.Thanks...
Perry Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #2
Go Cycle

No difference. In fact the VX2000 is better in terms of ND filters due to the fact that there are two ND filters offered. If you must cut down on some light use your shutter speed.

Lou Bruno
Lou Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2002, 05:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

please tell me how effective a 3rd or 4th ND filter is when photographing a bright sunny day.

Say you want to have the sun glaring in shot or a clear outline of the clouds but not wanting to fade out the foreground, Would additional ND filters work?
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2002, 06:28 PM   #4
Warden

Not all ND filters are created equal. Search the forums and you'll see threads on the effects of cheap ND filters. It is not uncommon for them to change the color balance in un-natural ways.

A 3rd or 4th filter just reduces the light more and more. Objects that are too bright will decrease in brightness, but so will the shadows.. shadows will block up and have no detail at all.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #5
Trustee

It sounds like you're interested in a graduated ND.They come in varous shades and neutral density.
http://www.tiffen.com/color_grad_pg2.htm
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 12:07 AM   #6
Wrangler

So far the built-in ND filters have been enough. I always carry a rotating polarizer which can double as a ND filter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion