DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/565-vx2000-various-topics.html)

Chris Hurd March 20th, 2003 10:33 PM

Members who are still using "handles" (which are no longer permitted, see the link in my signature below), are urged to update their signatures with their real names (click "user cp" button above, then choose "edit profile"). That way one of the admins can come through and update your username for you. Thanks,

Frank Granovski March 21st, 2003 02:11 AM

bluerabitt, you have to give us more details. I've never even seen/heard noise from footage shot with a VX2000.

Federico Prieto March 21st, 2003 04:01 AM

Yes I use ND filters when needed. May be my prior explanation is not correct. When I see the heavens in my NTSC monitor I can see it some (a little) grainy...The movie is not over or underexpossed, and I have not sun reflections...is just the pure blue "tropic" heaven. Any idea about?

Federico Prieto

Chris: mail sent......

Brian Pink March 21st, 2003 09:09 AM

One thing I've noticed with any lossy compression scheme is that the areas where you usually can really see artifacting is in big smooth colors. Is it possible that you're seeing DV artifacts and not camera noise?

Federico Prieto March 21st, 2003 09:53 AM

Yes Brian; that is possible....I believe that it is what I see.

Thaknks

J.P. McLean March 22nd, 2003 12:50 PM

Question about vx2000 low lux mode

Recently, I was filming a band and the the light was very low so I decided to try the low lux mode under the ae function. While it gave a tremendous boost to the video in terms of brightness, it also made the band appear in slow motion.

What did I miss, forget to do? Does anyone here have experience using the low lux mode?

What is the best way to film in low light situations? Should I adjust the exposure and shutter speed manually and forget about the low lux mode? Or does it work with some setting that I forget to do?

Tom Hardwick March 22nd, 2003 01:17 PM

Yes, forget about the low-lux mose. The band weren't in slow motion (you'll notice that the sound track was perfectly normal) but they were being filmed at 1/3rd or 1/6th sec. These slow shutter speeds are fine if that's the effect you're after, but in reality you're better off sticking to 1/50th, using the faster wide-angle end of the zoom and applying gain up.

tom.

J.P. McLean March 22nd, 2003 01:31 PM

Thanks Tom

Lizi Hesling March 25th, 2003 11:19 PM

how can I improve VX2000 audio?

Hi - I use a Sony VX2000 and want to find a way to improve the audio - I would like to attach a professional 3-pin mike like a Sennheiser, but I don't know if there is any kind of adaptor that can be attached to the camera to allow for this - any advice?

Frank Granovski March 26th, 2003 12:19 AM

Perhaps look at the Beachtek and Sennheiser ME66/K6.

David Hurdon March 26th, 2003 05:47 AM

Improve VX2000 audio

Here are two options copied from my ever-present wish list:

 Studio 1 XLR-BP-PRO Replacing the original XLR-PRO, this beltpak version features two XLR inputs, switchable for mic/line, volume controls (attenuation), mono/stereo, ground lift, as well as 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch inputs (which you should be cautious about using). The box features DC blocking and almost no internal loss of mic signal (unlike certain other brands). It is less expensive than the original XLR-PRO boxes. USD$200 at http://www.equipmentemporium.com/audiofor.htm

 XLRH8/DV cable Adapts XLR to stereo mini, bridges audio over Left and Right camcorder channels to eliminate noise. Blocks any stray voltage at camcorder input. Note: Some miniDV camcorders may not require voltage blocking. However, most Sony's work best with this cable. http://www.equipmentemporium.com/audiofor.htm (USD$50)

obljsurf March 29th, 2003 10:24 PM

Sony VX200 Horzional lines

I get short horizontal or fuzzy edges on moving people or things. Takes still pictures very clear. I have tried program scan and fast shutter speeds no help. Any advice? Clean the heads, take the camara in, or normal.
My daughter's ice skating competion looked so bad I can't watch it on TV. On the camara with the small picture you don't see the fuzzy edges.

Mike Rehmus March 29th, 2003 10:31 PM

This is not normal AFAIK.

Always a good idea to run the cleaning tape for 5 seconds and see what effect that has. Try a different tape.

If you have made adjustments on camera operation and want to get back to nominal, use the Reset button on the camera.

If the problem persists, I'd return it for service. Hopefully it is under warranty.

obljsurf March 30th, 2003 12:16 AM

lines

New sony tape didn't fix it. Camara reset didn't fix it. Head cleaner ordered, comming in the mail.

Mark Thomas April 2nd, 2003 04:06 PM

what about faulty connection? such as a stressed cable?