Glidecam 2000 with vx2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Glidecam 2000 with vx2000

I just got my Glidecam 2000 today and I'm trying to set it up. I followed the manual but its a little tricky to balance. Anyone who's done it can you tell how many counter weights did you use? Any good links or useful advice on how to become proficient in using it. thx in advance.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #2
Wrangler

A search of the camera support forum can help:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45189
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

thx that link helped. 3 washers on each side seems to be the correct counter weight for the vx2000 with a standard battery.

I've got it so its level. It neither pitches forward/backward or left/right but its not quite right because camera wants to rotate when I pick it up.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; December 27th, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Pete ~

Does it rotate when you do the sled arc test ?

I use a Glidecam 4000 and after adjusting for vertical balance I make sure the post length is telescoped out enough so when I do the sled arc test it takes about 2 seconds to go from 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock position.

Sometimes I notice it rotates as it swings down. I've discovered a few fixes:
1) Check to make sure the camera is mounted squarely on the plate
a) I invested in a quick release base / plate that mounts onto the base plate of the Glidecam. It has made a huge difference on how quickly I can balance.
2) Check that the counterbalance washers are square on the sled and are stacked straight.
3) Check that the post length is telescoped just right to get about a 2 second sled arc test.
a) If too short (greater than 3 second arc test) you may experience some rotating

My biggest advice Pete is to invest in a quick release assembly to mount on the Glidecam base plate. Call Glidecam and they will be able to recommend a quick release assembly for the 2000. I got mine through B&H for less than $80.

I love the stabilized movement with the Glidecam and it will set you apart from the bouncy handheld shots everyone else is getting without it.

Here is a link of a recent music video I helped shoot. About 75 % of the shots are with the Glidecam the balance was done with a small jib / crane.

http://www.warehouseagency.com/f5

best,

Ken

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion