Need advice on which camera to buy. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #16
Major Player

Think you've made the right choice, if I was to buy one of the two now I'd get the VX but only because I have the PD already and the VX would make a great 2nd unit to it. If i had neither, I'd grab the PD without a thought.

The microphone doesn't stick out too much, and there's a shoe on top for mounting a smaller mic if needed. I have a dodgy adapter I built that'll let me connect my 3.5mm MSC908c Sony Electret to the 2nd XLR in, as I shoot with two mounted mics. Neither get in the way and I shoot mainly close up.

Also if you like 16x9, just pick up the century optics 16x9 adapter in the future. I paid £160 for mine on eBay, which is about $260 or so.. its not a massive amount of money for a great adapter.

Personally I'd have no qualms with packing the PD150 to go on vacation with, even tho I have a TRV950 (3CCD prosumer) as well... but then again I haven't been on vacation in a long time, so maybe i'm being a bit naive. I'd probably pack it then regret it later on, but I'm sure the footage would be beautiful at least :D
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Connors
Think you've made the right choice, if I was to buy one of the two now I'd get the VX but only because I have the PD already and the VX would make a great 2nd unit to it. If i had neither, I'd grab the PD without a thought.

The microphone doesn't stick out too much, and there's a shoe on top for mounting a smaller mic if needed. I have a dodgy adapter I built that'll let me connect my 3.5mm MSC908c Sony Electret to the 2nd XLR in, as I shoot with two mounted mics. Neither get in the way and I shoot mainly close up.

Also if you like 16x9, just pick up the century optics 16x9 adapter in the future. I paid £160 for mine on eBay, which is about $260 or so.. its not a massive amount of money for a great adapter.

Personally I'd have no qualms with packing the PD150 to go on vacation with, even tho I have a TRV950 (3CCD prosumer) as well... but then again I haven't been on vacation in a long time, so maybe i'm being a bit naive. I'd probably pack it then regret it later on, but I'm sure the footage would be beautiful at least :D
Good to know.. Thanks for your input, James.
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion