Got my PD150 today... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Got my PD150 today...

I get it, my dad picks it up in Washington DC, and the board is fried. I thought at first it was the LCD, but all the colors it films flicker green and red, and it is throughly messed up. I have a video clip, but putfile is down right now. I have no idea what's wrong, I'm taking it back to the place (ebay store) I bought it from and I'm getting my money back. Is there something I might be missing, or another way to fix it? Couldn't hurt to ask...
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

http://www.zippyvideos.com/635526359...untitled_0013/

Here's the video, no idea why it converted it to WMV... As you can see, it looks terrible.
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hochberg
Is there something I might be missing, or another way to fix it? Couldn't hurt to ask...
Nope, that's a first rate pile of crap you have there, nothing you could possibly do would account for video that looks like this - hope the refund is smooth and easy.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
Nope, that's a first rate pile of crap you have there, nothing you could possibly do would account for video that looks like this - hope the refund is smooth and easy.
A $2,300 pile of crap. Great. I will return it.
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

Sorry to hear about your problem Rob. I'd definitely try for a refund. Otherwise you can find info on Sony repair centers here: http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

Unfortunately, this is the second post within a week where somebody got a damaged PD-150 from eBay. Assuming you can get your money back, why not take my suggestion from the thread where you asked about places to buy a camera? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58132

Get on a bus, train or car and go to B&H in New York. Their used camera dept currently lists two PD-150's, one for $2,200 and another for $2,300 (their inventory is constantly changing, so they may or may not be listed here - probably a good idea to call before making the trip):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=2935

B&H stands behind their equipment, and you'll be supporting a company which supports this site.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Sorry to hear about your problem Rob. I'd definitely try for a refund. Otherwise you can find info on Sony repair centers here: http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

Unfortunately, this is the second post within a week where somebody got a damaged PD-150 from eBay. Assuming you can get your money back, why not take my suggestion from the thread where you asked about places to buy a camera? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58132

Get on a bus, train or car and go to B&H in New York. Their used camera dept currently lists two PD-150's, one for $2,200 and another for $2,300 (their inventory is constantly changing, so they may or may not be listed here - probably a good idea to call before making the trip):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=2935

B&H stands behind their equipment, and you'll be supporting a company which supports this site.
Thanks Boyd, I was waiting for your post, you are always helpful. What's weird is that the problem is intermittent, which is obviously unacceptable, but still. I can't understand why though, the hours are low (60 tape run) and there is nothing suggesting it was dropped.
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Interesting... I was looking at the box, and was originally purchased from B and H, it has an orange sticker directing it where to go.
Where do I find the model number for the sony site? I put in the number on the bottom of my camera and it says it wasn't valid.
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #8
Wrangler

Sorry, I guess that link is for their consumer products. Here's info on the pro service centers:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...eCenters.shtml

Looks like the Teaneck NJ location is closest to you. Info on send-in repairs is here, along with some of the fees for out-of-warranty cameras:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...8/repair.shtml
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Sorry, I guess that link is for their consumer products. Here's info on the pro service centers:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...eCenters.shtml

Looks like the Teaneck NJ location is closest to you. Info on send-in repairs is here, along with some of the fees for out-of-warranty cameras:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...8/repair.shtml
I shouldn't have to repair it. I am probably going to be sending it back tommorow. The store doesn't pay the client until after the auction, so I'm hoping they didn't pay him yet. I wish it worked right, I'm having tons of fun toying with it even if it doesn't work right. :-( Came with 3 batteries too. It doesn't seem to be doing that thing anymore, now the picture is just really yellow.
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Wow...and I thought I had a problem. As you may know from my thread last week, mine occasionally flashes random gibberish (and once in a while a yellow stripe) on the screen/viewfinder, but it doesn't affect the recording at all. I sure hope you don't have any trouble getting your money back.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I am going to be returning the camera, and I'm buying one from Patrick Moreau on here. The ebay store (espotstore) is now acting like a mediator between me and the previous owner, and he claims that he never had that problem, that I should clean the heads and use a fresh tape (I already was, sony premium tapes). He offered to discount for the price of repair, but I said I would much rather return it. My feeling is that one or more of the CCD's aren't working right. It doesn't seem to flicker anymore, but the picture is really yellow and lacking blue. I turned the ND filter to setting 1, and that seemed to fix the color, but I really want a reliable camera.
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Neutral Density Effect:

I can't figure that one out. I assume you're not shooting with the iris in manual mode and wide open... I have a VX2000, and I haven't seen that kind of result before.. but don't know what else is available on the PD150 in terms of adjustments..

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #13
Trustee

"...but the picture is really yellow and lacking blue."

I have to ask. Don't feel insulted as I can not see your "yellow" problem first-hand. Are you sure the camera is white-balanced properly?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
"...but the picture is really yellow and lacking blue."

I have to ask. Don't feel insulted as I can not see your "yellow" problem first-hand. Are you sure the camera is white-balanced properly?
Yes. I tried every white balance setting and the problem was still there. Trust me, something was not right in the camera. It doesn't matter anymore anyways, I sent it back today and will be recieving a refund probably early next week.
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Major Player

This is a great example of why NOT to buy from eBay. I've had a similar experience with an older consumer DV cam. I bought it at the auction, where they claimed it was in "perfect working condition" and when I received it, the thing powered on, but it was very intermittent (it would cut off, the LCD would go off, but viewfinder still worked, while the camera always recorded to tape). After closer inspection it looked like the inside of the camera had water damage (looking inside the tape mechanism), but the outside was extremely clean, suggesting to me the seller cleaned it and sold as-is. I contacted the seller, and he claimed that "UPS must have damaged it" and to contact them.

...In trying to use the Insurance I supposedly paid extra for, UPS told me the package was shipped without insurance and they would not cover the cost of replacing the camera ($800). Going back to the ebay seller, I could not get him to agree to a refund. Fortunately PayPalbuyer protection refunded the money to me.

I despise buying anything from eBay, especially professional electronics...
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion