Some possible dead pixels on LCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Some possible dead pixels on LCD

Hi again everyone,

As I got to the mood of creating new topics in this forum, I decided to ask your opinion as well on the little issue I have with my camera (VX2100). The LCD screen has a little white bar on the right side which constantly shows and I think it's dead pixels. I have no idea how it got there and I do not even know whether it was there already when I bought the cam, but I think it wasn't. I contacted the camera shop and they said it might have happened because of some heavy shock applied to the camera. However, this is really not possible as I have maintained it with very good care. They said that I could send it to warranty, but it will probably not be repaired for free. I can indeed live with this problem and the bar doesn't disturb me a tiny bit, but it just made me a little worried. Here's a picture of the LCD: http://georg.skyfilmproductions.com/...00_display.JPG

What is your opinion on this? Any way I could try to improve it myself? Thanks a lot!
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd send that in for warranty repair, and would not take no for an answer. May I ask who the dealer was?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should really do this. I ordered it from United Kingdom and the shop was Digital-4-U. They mostly sell via Ebay and have good reputation. It's a small shop, but the main salesman is very friendly and he actually did provide me some options for fixing the camera. He just said that it might not work out as Sony may not consider it under warranty.
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What is the purchase date?
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #5
Major Player

The purchase date is Oct 18, 2005.
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I think that would be warrantied for part, but not labor. I'm sure someone else here would know for sure.
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all the help, Robert. The seller asked me to send it to repair here locally and if the cost will not be extremely high, I will get it refunded by the shop.

Does anyone know whether the whole LCD needs to be replaced in such cases and how much does the VX2100/PD170 LCD approximately cost?
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The LCD screen itself (parts) should be under warranty, just not the cost of labor to replace it. The shop should contact Sony if they need parts. (Sony might want you to send the camera to them for repair, if they are going to provide the parts under warranty though.)
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You might want to give the fine print in the warranty a careful read (always fun!).
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for finding this out for me. It's a bit complicated indeed. I will firstly take the camera to the local Sony Centre for detecting the fault and then they will hopefully tell me how expensive it will be to repair. If it's not too high, then I will not have to send it to UK for warranty repair.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion