VX2100 exposure question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 21st, 2006, 10:44 PM   #1
New Boot

VX2100 exposure question

Hi folks -

I currently have a TRV950, picking up a VX2100 (I wanted the FX1, but need the extra zoom). On my 950, I use the manual setting for exposure because it seems the automatic tends to over-expose many scenes. Anyway, when I do this, I need to frequently change the exposure as the lighting in the scene changes.
Is there a setting on the 2100 (or 950) similar to a +/- exposure feature found on many digital still cameras? For example, to let the camera continue to adjust the iris automatically, but at maybe .3 or .7 of an f-stop less than it would otherwise?

thanks,
Ed
Ed Langone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You might try downloading the manual for the VX2100 from Sony, and looking at page 54.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Wrangler

It sounds like the function you want is "AE Shift" and it is found in the custom preset feature on the VX. You have to dig through some menus to find it however, it isn't a dedicated button.

You might think some more about the FX1 vs VX-2100 however. The VX is great if you only want to work in 4:3 and need the very best low light response, but the FX1 is far superior in every other way. Much better manual controls (especially the manual iris).

Robert: I understand Ed's point about the zoom. Remember, a number like 12x (twelve times) is meaningless unless you know "twelve times WHAT." That number indicates that the wide end of the zoom range is magnified 12x at the telephoto end. You are starting out with a much wider lens on the FX1, so the telephoto end is also wider.

In 35mm still photo terms, the wide end of the VX range is 43mm and the telephoto is 518mm. Compare that to the FX where the wide end is 33mm and telephoto is 390mm.

This can be a problem for event work where you are shooting a performance from the back of the theatre for example. I got the Century 1.6x teleconvertor to deal with this on my Z1, but it's expensive...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4
New Boot

I looked at both cameras, and I absolutely LOVE the FX1! Even the cost was OK. But... yes, I do shoot from the back of auditoriums a bunch, and I find I use just a tad bit of the digital zoom to get tight shots.

Robert - thanks for that info on the zoom.

Boyd - I am going to try to figure out that "AE shift" you refer to.

Hopefully my questions aren't TOO simple, I'm really just starting out, I've been doing a lot of amateur work for schools, etc, and am now being asked to do this for $$, so I'm trying to do it right.

Ed
Ed Langone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I really should study still 35mm terms. A real weakness for me there. I never used a 35mm still camera in my life.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Wrangler

It is worthwhile to take a photography class at the local community college level where you learn the terminology and many of the techniques you need to have in videography. I've taken both photograpy and video classes (separated by 30 years) and I still find the photography classes to be of great value because they demanded more understanding of the underlying fundamentals than the videography classes ever did.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=

Robert: I understand Ed's point about the zoom. Remember, a number like 12x (twelve times) is meaningless unless you know "twelve times WHAT." That number indicates that the wide end of the zoom range is magnified 12x at the telephoto end. You are starting out with a much wider lens on the FX1, so the telephoto end is also wider.

In 35mm still photo terms, the wide end of the VX range is 43mm and the telephoto is 518mm. Compare that to the FX where the wide end is 33mm and telephoto is 390mm.

[/QUOTE]

But.... If you shoot in 4:3 DV mode on the FX1, I think your anlges of view end up a lot closer to the VX wide and telephoto ends. What makes the field of view wider in the FX1 is the wider format, wouldn't you agree ?

If that is true, then for your stage shots, for a play, you would have similar head room on a patcular shot. Am I thinking right here?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't know about the FX1 yet, but the angle of view when switching between HDV and DV on my HD10U does change. The HD10U uses a smaller portion of the CCD in DV mode (for either 4:3 or 16:9).
Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If cost is a factor, you might look at the GR-DV300U (I have one and love it) as an alternative to the VX-2100. The DV300 is right on par with a VX2100 (from what I've gathered - I've not used a VX2100 though), aside from the low light performance of the VX2100 (the FX1 won't give VX2100-like low light performance either though - again, from what I've gathered). I believe the DV300 is generally a little more robust in manual control of image aquisition also (like several graduations of black-stretch, for example). The DV300 doesn't have that AE shift though.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I don't know about the FX1 yet, but the angle of view when switching between HDV and DV on my HD10U does change. The HD10U uses a smaller portion of the CCD in DV mode (for either 4:3 or 16:9).

I actually compared my FX1 in wide set with the 4:3 guides on and found angle of view very close to VX 2000. I just did a rough look, but maybe I will do an accurate measurement on it to satisfy my curiosity.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
But.... If you shoot in 4:3 DV mode on the FX1, I think your anlges of view end up a lot closer to the VX wide and telephoto ends.
True - just look at the camera specs. In 4:3 mode the FX1 numbers would be 40mm - 480mm which are pretty close to the VX numbers I posted above. But using an FX1 for 4:3 video?.... ugh! ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
True - just look at the camera specs. In 4:3 mode the FX1 numbers would be 40mm - 480mm which are pretty close to the VX numbers I posted above. But using an FX1 for 4:3 video?.... ugh! ;-)

My point was that if you are shooting a stage production the headroom on your finished fully zoomed shot would be about the same with the VX or FX1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion