zoom controller at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

zoom controller

I would appreciate if someone can recommend a good zoom controller ( for pd150 ) with variable speed.
Many Thanks
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I got a Varizoom Stealth when they first came out a few years ago and with a bit of practice got it to ramp nice and slow or fast like a shuttle shot on a pro lens. I like it but I don't use it alot anymore (I don't use the camera too much anymore either) but with some practice it has worked out fine for me.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

My Stealth has been a problem starting about 6 months after I bought it. Varizoom has replaced the boards, replaced the cable, all to no avail. It works OK for a short period and then fails.

I'd recommend another model as I'm not the first to experience this problem with this controller.
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Major Player

zoom controller

I recently purchased the bogen 523pro with the arm and it has worked well for me so far.

my two cents.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

I've had a Varizoom Pro-L and it's worked fine for about 3 years: http://www.varizoom.com/products/controls/vzprol.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

On the more economical level, checkout Zoom Commander. Has two adjustable variable zoom cbutton sets, focus control, etc. I use it on my VX 2000

See:http://www.signvideo.com/zoom-comman...ler_II_pro.htm
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks for all the info!
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I had a Stealth and a Rock for test for the British magazine Computer Video. Both zoom controllers gave very jerky slow zooms, inching forward in tiny little steps, often without my hand on the rocker even. This applied whether they were plugged into the VX2k, PDX10, TR2000 and TRV900, so I gave them a thumbs down.

The Zoe LANC remote works beautifully though, and has a little wheel that limits your top speed to whatever you like. Good in stressful situations, where even if you push too hard on the rocker, your speed controller will have set a top speed determined by you beforehand.

Another nice feature of the Zoe is the 'push auto' focus feature. This works exactly like the button on the VX's lens barrel, and is a real boon. Now for tom's wish: that the next LANC controller will allow smooth and seamless control over the aperture (exposure) dial. When that becomes available I'll be much happier using a FigRig.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #9
New Boot

I have used the varizoom rock for almost a year, very smooth and absolutely no problems...Tom, it sounds like you got a couple of duds to test, that's too bad, I know several people that use varizoom lanc/control gear regularly and are well pleased. I have also read forums where people stated that they really like Zoe (I have no experience with these)... if possible try out several and see what "fits" you best!

George
George Creasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Creasman
I have used the varizoom rock for almost a year, very smooth and absolutely no problems...Tom, it sounds like you got a couple of duds to test, that's too bad, I know several people that use varizoom lanc/control gear regularly and are well pleased. I have also read forums where people stated that they really like Zoe (I have no experience with these)... if possible try out several and see what "fits" you best!

George
George, just a quick question as to what cameras you are using with the VZRock. I am using Sony cams (VX2100 and PD170) and I haven't been able t get the auto focus to work.
I like using it like the push auto on the cam for quick run and gun shooting during weddings, like processional walking down the isle.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Got the VZRockLE mounted on a Spiderbrace with my PD170s and don't have any of the problems listed in this thread. Zoom is smooth as silk, focus works perfectly--great product for the PD170, IMO...
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Good, I'm glad to hear they've got the problems sorted Vincent. Thing is Varizoom were very angry with me for daring to expose the Rock and Stealth's failings, even though (as I pointed out to them) I was simply doing their prototype testing.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #13
New Boot

Michael.. I use mine on a PD170 and it has worked as advertised, no problems at all.
George Creasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
My Stealth has been a problem starting about 6 months after I bought it. Varizoom has replaced the boards, replaced the cable, all to no avail. It works OK for a short period and then fails.

I'd recommend another model as I'm not the first to experience this problem with this controller.
Varizoom contacted me and are sending me a new Rock and a replacement Stealth. We'll see how they act when I get them. I can try them on a pair of PD150's, a VX-1000, a PC-110 and a few old 8 mm cameras. Report when I get them.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM   #15
Major Player

they should be thanking you...

Tom-
Like you said, you were just doing their prototype testing for them ;)
Your honest but scathing critique probably led to the smooth working version that I got my hands on...
So, thanks buddy!
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion