What is this nonsense? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 4th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #1
Jack Donskoy

What is this nonsense?

I read the criticism on "repeat" questions, questions that were answered in other channels, waves, forms, threads, whatever you want to call it.
And while I agree that reading helps, here are some pretty powerful arguments in defense of these "scapegoats."

1. People often read and find unsatisfactory or insufficient answers
2. New people read old questions, give fresh answers (thanks mike, and welcome)
3. These forums get different types of users, different levels, and for different purposes, with different time limitations.
Because someone like Mike is in charge, and has to read the same question five times a week, that does not detract from the fact that these new inexperienced users are: creating traffic!!
(I personally used to come infrequently, and just read. only recently did i start registering and posting so daringly.
4.These repeat questions may still encourage team building by exposing ignorance of one (someone comes to their aid, another ignoramous like me might at least find common ground {see misery loves company})
5. Some people don't understand language the same way (linguistics in muliticultural society)
6. Some people need special attention, and that is what they are looking for
7. Some very important users of other parts of 2pop may just have a urgent and unique need, answered quickly, without having to plough through all this. SO what if this type of person gets what they want. They deserve that chance, this is a community service.
8. Digital technology for the masses: this inevitable dynamic involves the convergence of different demographic profiles: young old, rich and poor, professional and beginner, forensic, legal, and art. Ignorant, stupid, smart, handicapped, foreign, lethargic, energetic, soulful, pedantic, educated,

SHOULD I GO ON??

I hope my comments stimulate people to add more reasons to this list, not counter each one. Perhaps if you are really irritated, just use that energy to come up with an idea on how to make this forum even more user friendly, to make it easier on those kindred souls that have to suffer through these "repeat" Q and A's.
After all, you are supposed to be creative with multimedia. Could you be more empowered??
THE IGNORANTS OF TODAY ARE THE EXPERTS OF TOMORROW
and
CAREFUL ON THE TOES YOU STEP ON TODAY. THEY MAY BE ATTACHED TO THE A++ YOU MAY HAVE TO KISS TOMORROW.
(note to the forum manager: I promise to be very selective on the occasion in which i will be so daring with my humor. If required, please accept my apologies now)
One more thing, as a suggestion to the irked: a) dont read the threads or posts you are not interested in, and b) don't answer the questions that you dont like to answer.
My best to ALL! AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Old February 4th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jack,
What
"...criticism on "repeat" questions, questions that were answered in other channels, waves, forms, threads, whatever you want to call it."
are you referring to? Can you post the URL of the thread that prompted your...remarks?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Jack,

My name is Chris, and I own this message board. Can you please direct me to the thread or threads you're complaining about.

Here at dvinfo.net, we have a very firm "no such thing as a stupid question" policy and we welcome any type of query, whether it's entry level or high-end professional.

On occasion, if the question has already been asked, we might politely refer the poster to use the search tool in order to dig up existing threads covering the topic in question. When we do that, it is with the utmost degree of civility and mutual respect.

My goal when I originally set up this board was to insure a flame-free environment. If something is troubling you, or if you have noticed an instance of someone flaming you or anybody else, please contact me as I would like to review it.

In the future, please don't shout (with the caps lock on). Again, if there is some kind of issue here, please point me to the exact link. Thanks in advance, and may God bless the entire world.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 12:38 AM   #4
Jack Donskoy

Replies

Hello Chris and Ken, and Forum in general:

My comment was inspired by weeks of visiting forums like this one.
You are wondering about specific instances.
I did go back and look a bit, honoring your request despite my reluctance to single out anyone. admittedly a tedious task, i did not do it for long, and found no specific instances where people deserved to be singled out or referred to ownership or management. however, since distasteful is such a broad term...

In any case if you read my intentions correctly, i am providing solid argument to reinforce that very basis that you mention. in light of the fact that many like me feel intimidated ( i must confess i did for some time), it is meanto to encourage those novices.

and to those who are bigoted about the level of questions, it is meant help them persist in their task of elevating the level of discussion as well as giving them encouragement in taking a different approach to manage the mispent energy. again these are tomorrow's experts

If you find my remarks insinuated that this site is plagued, i will add that amongst the ones i visit, it is amongst the more civil ones, perhaps because you have adopted the no anonymity policy. Perhaps if anything, my remarks are exulting the valuable service that this community has provided to me.

Regarding shouting, I really did search for Italics, in no moment did i mean to hurt your eyes with my shouting. My intention was to highlight. But i will abstain from doing so again. And admittedly, my title and tone for the thread may end up being too risque.

Lastly, thank you for sponsoring this site. It has been very useful to me already, and I have already recomended to others.

Regards,
Jack
Old February 5th, 2003, 12:53 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Jack,

For info about how to add links, and to make your text in bold, underline, or italics: see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/misc.php?action=bbcode

I know exactly what you mean about some other sites and I agree with you 100%. That's why I started this one. It's not really intended to appeal to everybody... for example I'm not interested in attracting anyone who is not comfortable posting under their real name. That is one big thing which sets us apart and as you have seen, there's much less trouble here than other places as a result.

Also I really like the way you say that today's new folks are tomorrow's experts. That's a great way to put it. We try hard to foster an atmosphere of "no such thing as a stupid question" and we treat everybody equally with high regard, mutual respect and unquestioning friendship. Anybody who can't manage these simple rules of civility gets booted, period. I've had to eject fewer than five knuckleheads compared to the thousands of good folks here since I started this almost 18 months ago. That tells me we're doing something right.

In short, when you're here, you're home. Welcome aboard,

Old February 5th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Jack, just post your questions. People here really try to help each other. It's a great place!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #7
Wrangler

Especially those nutty moderators. They just love watching their post counts go up!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

Always wondered who these guys are :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #9
Warden

Jack,

Where in Florida are you? I'm wondering if we're neighbors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #10
Jack Donskoy

Where

Thanks guys.

Jeff, I am in Miami, Miami Beach to more exact.

Regards
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Jack,

welcome aboard. Don't worry about the "new boot' thing. It isn't literal :)
Old February 6th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #12
Major Player

is this the right place for a

"hello it's me" post?

:)
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Hello jAyVIdDV,

Probably not, but it is a good opportunity to inform you that we no longer allow anonymous posts and are converting "handles" such as yours to real names. Please contact me so I can update your username. From our FAQ:

"Old folks still using handles, be advised that these accounts might become suspended... that's to get you to contact me, so that we can get your real name plugged in there."

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Old February 7th, 2003, 05:35 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

jAyVIdDV,

After converting your handle to a name please post your
introduction to our special introduction forum! Thank you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #15
Major Player

Hey, I've got a complaint about the "New Boot" thing. I could use a new pair of boots and mine never arrived!

Rick
barefoot
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion