Choices.. Choices.. Choices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 13th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Choices.. Choices.. Choices

Welll as you all my know I do have a VX-2000.

And soon plan to start my Video production for my DVD on the import car racing scene.

But have been considering seeling it over getting a used PD-100A? Does anyone know the major differences between the two? Most likely people with experiences using both of them.

And does anyone know where you can find that handle you can attach to a camcorder from the thread mount on the bottom of the camcorder?
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #2
Trustee

thereare quite a few grips and mounts available.

http://www.videosmith.com/

http://www.habbycam.com/

Ther's more, check at the retailers that support this site.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Wrangler

If any of the races are held at night, you will be glad you have the 2000 vs the 100.

If you look around, you may be able to find a pistol grip that Sony used to make that has LANC control built in. Some people like to hold a 2000 this way. I prefer a L bracket myself. Nobody makes a L bracket with LANC controls AFAIK.

I've got one L bracket that has two shoes, one on top of the vertical bar and one on the side of the bar. So you could hold a light and a microphone or whatever.

The best L brackets are built for the medium format film cameras. They tend to have molded grips and are generally quite a bit stronger. I use one from my Mamiya RB-67 that is very comfortable.

There is another bracket that I've only seen and don't know where to find it. It is a square of tubing that bolts to the bottom of the camera and gives you a hand hold on the top and both sides. Makes it easy to hold the camera with either hand or to hold the camera low for those ESPN style shots. If anyone runs across the manufacturer, please post their information.
Old February 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

<< Nobody makes a L bracket with LANC controls AFAIK. >>

Actually, VariZoom has an handgrip-type bracket that attaches to their Pro-L or PG-L controllers, turning the LANC control into a pistol-grip type camera handle. See these images:

www.dvinfo.net/media/Image25a.jpg
www.dvinfo.net/media/Image28.jpg

I couldn't find the bracket on the VariZoom site, but if you refer them to the pics linked above, they'll tell you the part number and price. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion