New PD170 or 2100...audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Voog View Post
Hi Ron,
What is your typical audio setup?
thanks!

Hi Jay

I pretty much described my "typical audio setup" in a couple posts above. See post titled "Azden Cam-3 mic mixer with Sony VX2100"
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I run auto almost always and make adjustments in post...It is much easier to make adjustments to audio in post. I might check my audio from time to time and slap on headsets every so often to double check, but that is about all I do. Hot is fine, as long as it is not distored, and I find auto keeps it from reaching distortion levels pretty well.

Incidentally, I did add a Rode Videomic to my 2100. amazing. what a difference. I can't believe I waited so long to purchase a shotgun.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 3rd, 2007 at 08:10 AM. Reason: addition
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Hot is fine, as long as it is not distored, and I find auto keeps it from reaching distortion levels pretty well.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your comments...
Just wondering, does it ever seem like the audio is "too hot" when done in auto mode. It doesn't seem to clip, but the audio seems pretty close to distortion at times for me. Lowering the volume doesn't seem to take away the "hotness". When you say you you make adjustments in post, do you mean lowering the volume levels? or what are your adjustments?
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Of course it does clip at times depending on where you are shooting. If you are shooting in a loud environment (band etc) and if you want perfect you will need to find other options for audio than your cam.

I shoot low and mid priced weddings in volume, and this is not a huge issue for me. I make adjustments during editing to volume and it's fine for my purposes.

I started out criticizing experienced wedding videographer's work in the beginning assuming they didn't care about "getting it right", but now understand that at the price range most of us shoot we cannot afford to do everything the way we might like. Don't get me wrong, I like things to be as perfect as possible, and my customers really like my work. But most of them do not expect pefection, as I have learned not to.

I am however always on the lookout for for new and better ways to do things, as most of us are.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion