Why does the EX encode 1440x1080 24P like this? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #16
Trustee

Here is a simple solution. Shoot 720p 24p then you will never have to worry about psf frames and how a digital dsplay that a client has will deal with the footage.

Other then that you will need Blu-Ray authoring tools that will set proper flags on the disc so a Blu-Ray player will output true 1080p. I'm not sure if DVD-it will do that yet or not. The same will be true for HD-DVD. The encoder and authoring software will have to support flags on the disc just like with DVD's.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Here's a good document that explains all this stuff.

http://www.leitch.com/resources/whit.../Whatis24P.pdf

-gb-
I've said it once, and I'll probably keep saying it until the day I die. HD is the most "un-standard" standard ever standardized. ;)

Thanks for the link Greg.

-Andrew
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Major Player

So can someone please desrcibe to me what kind of workflow your looking at if you want to ingest 1920-1080 24p EX footage into your FCS without the use of a capture card/HD-SDI or what not? so that the resultant footage is the full rez capture? This will just clarify this whole argument for me lol
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins View Post
So can someone please desrcibe to me what kind of workflow your looking at if you want to ingest 1920-1080 24p EX footage into your FCS without the use of a capture card/HD-SDI or what not? so that the resultant footage is the full rez capture? This will just clarify this whole argument for me lol
AFAIK the EX format is not supported yet by FCS so you'd need to transcode to a full raster codec (like ProRes) to keep it 1920*1080. I've e-mailed my Sony rep w/Q's about an EX workflow but I haven't heard back yet.

-A
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #20
Major Player

Okay well be sure to post that up here when you hear back
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Definitely will.

-A
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ramsbottom View Post
<snip> Is it possible to shoot 24p (or 25p) 1920x1080 footage to an SxS card and then simply drag it to the PC as a file?

Yes.
And this is HQ mode 35 Mbit footage?
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #23
Inner Circle

FCS will support the EX at launch. The importer has been written and I was demoing it at IBC. You open the importer and get thumbnails of the clips (the camera is connected using firewire and File Access Mode (FAM)). You select the clips you want and hit import. The files are imported into FCP as .mov files but without any transcoding and at the full 1920x1080 resolution. The .mp4 files are re-wrapped in .mov wrappers so FCP can handle them but the content is not transcoded or re-compressed so there is no loss of quality and the transfer is extremely quick (6x real time or more depending on the connection). The importer is essentially an improved version of the one currently used to import XDCAM HD material. You will also be able to use the "Log and Transfer" function of FCP to import EX material.
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Alister, while we are at "rewrapping" - does the EX1 own application that rewraps MP4's into mxf's use any recompression?
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Alister, while we are at "rewrapping" - does the EX1 own application that rewraps MP4's into mxf's use any recompression?
Not to answer for Alister, but the answer is no. MXF is also a container format that includes video, audio, and metadata. There is no re-compression needed.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Sony USA isn't making an official announcement about the EX until the 18th so my rep's lips are sealed until then unfortunately.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds