EX's MP4 files worked just fine in CS3!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
The playback fps struggles, especially with 32bit floatin point video - but yes, I'm ready for editing stuff from the EX1 (now if it only be available at last) :)
Excellent! Can you try a bit of colour correction too, so we can have a very "preliminary" idea how much we can push saturated colors before they show some artifacts? I'm very curious about 35mbit native quality...posting just some "compared" tiff would be really appreciated...Thanks

p.s.: I've watched them on wmp, but my old graphic card is only good to preview files...
Carlo Sigismondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I guess the main advantege of the long GOP 35Mbps VBR vs the 25Mbps CBR codec is in movement/detail handliig, not colour handling...
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
I guess the main advantege of the long GOP 35Mbps VBR vs the 25Mbps CBR codec is in movement/detail handliig, not colour handling...
I'm doing a quick test via photoshop cs3 (i've extracted some png files right now via videolan player)...highlights seem to show big problems, they simple don't have enough data to play with it, I've pumped to 60% saturation, after this they show nasty color artifacts but I'm not worried about it. According to my old test, pushing up saturation to 60% show artifacts also in dvcpro format, but highlights are more tweakable.
Carlo Sigismondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #19
Mustang. Legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Does not work at all in Final Cut Pro 6.0.1. One simply gets an error message. I suspect this will be fixed in an update coming soon given that the Sony Clip Browser can't convert the files to anything on the Mac.

There will be an EX codec released for FCP shortly. You'll need the latest Sony File Transfer Software version and latest Quicktime to make it all work. I'm sure there'll be instructions aplenty on the web about this.

(We edited the just-premiered EX promo videos in FCP-- worked great.)
Jody Eldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Will it be Intel only or will PPC Macs be supported?

I can understand that Apple (& Sony?) may want to keep the specifics under wrap as it were but if it's NOT going to support PPC some of us need to know ASAP because having to buy a MacPro or MacBookPro has an impact on what ancillary gear some of us need to purchase ASAP if we are to use the camera.

I am disappointed that the Clip Browser is Intel only. It's something I may need to distribute to clients to view master clip and no PPC support means many clients won't be able to view clips at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Eldred View Post
There will be an EX codec released for FCP shortly. You'll need the latest Sony File Transfer Software version and latest Quicktime to make it all work. I'm sure there'll be instructions aplenty on the web about this.

(We edited the just-premiered EX promo videos in FCP-- worked great.)
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
BTW, the 35Mbps mxf's are playable in WMP!
They also seem to play fine with the program Mplayer Classic

for those wanting to download the program...

http://www.free-codecs.com/Media_Pla...c_download.htm
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
They also seem to play fine with the program Mplayer Classic
And using the VLC media player...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #23
Trustee

I wouldn't think much of these clips right now. There are very rough shots done in a pretty dull setting and environment. This is about as bad of shots as any of us could ever even think of shooting with a camera. I would just look at these in terms of how the mp4 wrapper will play and work on your system. We do not even know what type of settings were used for these shots. Do not judge the camera quality based on a few sneaked through clips pointed at a white wall with a few bored looking people walking by.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #24
Trustee

True the flicker is due to fluorescent lighting, probably older ballasts.
Under these conditions, flicker can be a problem with any video camera.
It looks different due to the rolling shutter . I agree, we just don't know the setting used for these quick show room floor clips.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #25
Major Player

These clips may be of poor technical quality (flickering flourescents, fast frame rate for the other two clips) but they look gorgeous. The clips played fine with Media Player Classic.

I'm viewing them on a 1600x1050 display and the best way to describe the picture is "a Digital SLR at 25 frames per second." And it has no noise and artifacting can barely be seen. I've seen much worse at half-res 1080i on an HVX200. At full resolution the image looks crisp and will definitely be a force to be reckoned with in the world of prosumer video ;-)
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #26
Trustee

I do agree. Even though this is the nastiest environment you could ever put a camera in the level of detail is amazing. The 720p shot is more detailed then most 1/3" 1080i HDV cameras.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Clips?

Hello, can i have a link for downloads sample clips from the EX1, please?

Alessandro Zumstein
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #28
Regular Crew

see first post in this thread
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
The 720p shot is more detailed then most 1/3" 1080i HDV cameras.
I'm not sure about it being more detailed, but it certainly looks nice. One interesting thing is that the data rate of the 720p clip seems to be the same as the 1080p clip so the camera isn't reducing bandwidth at 720p.

Shouldn't this mean in theory that the camera is applying less compression to the 720p images?

Paul.
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
I'm not sure about it being more detailed, but it certainly looks nice. One interesting thing is that the data rate of the 720p clip seems to be the same as the 1080p clip so the camera isn't reducing bandwidth at 720p.

Shouldn't this mean in theory that the camera is applying less compression to the 720p images?

Paul.
Yes, I've noticed the same - and I think you're right that it translates to less compression! The 720/50(60)p will be simply great for fast action...

On the other hand, no chance of more material length fitting on the same capacity card than in 1080 mode.

This is all speculation though - there is too little action in those clips to conclusively state how the two modes average data rate differ.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds