BD-R and 25P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Major Player

BD-R and 25P

I do not know whether this has been already discussed somewhere else but I believe this concerns the EX1 as well.

I've just learned that both BD-R and HD DVD do not support 25P. Basically it seems that PAL is a problem when it comes to output to either format. So for all PAL users intending to buy this camera, what will you be using to be able to give a disc to a client having high definition footage on it? I was thinking of using 1080P at 25 fps - but will I be able to output to a BD-R with maximum compatibility with current existing BD players?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Major Player

You can export 25P within a 50i stream and the end result won't be any less progressive looking.

It'll work fine.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

This problem has been discussed extensively in the V1 forum. Editing 25p is as easy as a breeze, but displaying it properly is another matter. When you send the 25PsF (25p within 1080/50i) over component (or HDMI of most HDTVs), the display will try to deinterlace it which results in a horrible line twitter. There are 2 ways of displaying 25PsF properly:

- from the PC, using a software MPEG player with deinterlacer OFF
- on some newest, top line HDTVs, usually one of their HDMI inputs can tell it's progressive and won't deinterlace (not possible over component, though).

Add to it the fact that 25p is not supported by BluRay or HD DVD, and you have the answer: 24p is the way to go, even for the PAL users.

Unless (and I kindly ask those knowing it for sure to enlighten and/or correct me), the EX1's 25p is NOT 25PsF, but native progressive just like 24p at 35Mbps VBR, in which case it should be correctly recognized as such by most viewing devices. But I'm just speculating here!
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm under the impression that 24P is not available for PAL in the EX1 - or am I wrong?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
I'm under the impression that 24P is not available for PAL in the EX1 - or am I wrong?
You're not wrong, but what can stop you from setting it to NTSC ?
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Hadn't really thought about that, Piotr. I have an inexpensive Vizio 1080p set that does a good job of leaving progressive alone, as I have viewed 30p played from a 1080i output and had no annoying interlace twitter issues.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds