EX1 vs XH/G1 picture quality - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #16
Regular Crew

It's silly to judge cameras on frame grabs- but IMO- looking at this one frame -side by side- the 30p HVX image that looks more pleasing to my eye.
It also looked more pleasing to my co-worker.
We both agree the Sony looks better in 60i and 720p.

I own a HVX. I have an EX on order. I plan to use both- each for different types of jobs.
Randolph Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Duke View Post
the 30p HVX image that looks more pleasing to my eye.
WOW, please share with us what elements were more pleasing????

I agree about moving images.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #18
Major Player

A bitmap still comparison? Between video cameras? Oh well.

The EX1 does look better, but what did we expect comparing 1/2 inch latest generation CMOS with 3 year old 1/3 inch CCD technology. I certainly hope that it would look better. That's like saying my Intel dual core processor computer runs faster than my Intel Pentium 4 computer. You think? Wow I never would have imagined.

But, my crazy old fart cynicism aside, I really want to see the EX1 live and in person. Not the Ashley Simpson on SNL version. I'll take U2 on SNL all of the time.

Cheers.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #19
Trustee

Created this bitmap from the bitmap 1080 30P samples of just the wine bottle alone and some of the curtains in the background. The HVX200 is on the left, the EX1 is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 vs XH/G1 picture quality-hvx200_ex1_bottle.bmp  
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Created this bitmap from the bitmap 1080 30P samples of just the wine bottle alone and some of the curtains in the background. The HVX200 is on the left, the EX1 is on the right.
Yeah, I experienced something similar when I visited my ophtalmologist and she gave me the right glass...:)

Before and after....
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #21
Tourist

Will it possible to match the color output of the HVX with EX1

Hi,

Can some with the skills - color correct the 30p 1080 EX1 and match the color output of the 30p 1080 HVX image?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Pappakostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #22
New Boot

The EX1 pic looks sooo much better than the HVX shot. This might be silly to ask, but I will, just in case: Are you viewing the pictures full rez? For instance, if I resize my browser window the pictures can get auto-scaled to fit and if I shrink them to about 40% I can get the HVX pic to look pretty close, just with less latitude, but that lends to a higher contrast look that could be a matter of taste. But at full rez, there's no contest.
Brad Bodily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #23
Major Player

When looking at the 1080/60i shots I actually preferred the look of the G1, but at the 1080/30p the EX1 shot simply outshines the rest.

It would have been nice to have seen a 720/30p shot in comparison.

Anyone fancy a can of fuzzy navel!

Paul.
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #24
Trustee

I thought the G1 held up fairy well myself. The EX1 HQ images are really good.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; November 19th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #25
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bodily View Post
But at full rez, there's no contest.
I'll say. The EX1 looks more like a DSLR image especially dynamic range where the HVX looks like a $100 digicam uprezzed and sharpened to ugliness. I'm still hacking away with my DVX as I bailed on buying one of the first HVXs.

I shoot some with a friends HV20 when I need HD for clients. But the EX1 keeps interesting me (although, if an HV30 with full manual control was released, it would be very tempting as the HV20 image is better than G1/Z1 in both resolution and dynamic range.

But the EX1 looks like the best HD image I've seen (based on this and other early shots) for any sub $10k cam. Maybe even sub $20 (I don't count Red or SI there since by the time you actually have a shooting system, you are well over $20k.)
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #26
Trustee

True,
A coworker should be getting his RED in December (total investment including needed extras closing in on $30K). He is also very interested in the EX1. He thought the comparison today showing still frames was something he would of expected while comparing to a camera such as RED.
I think you may find that a few who were "on the fence" with this purchase may be climbing over it soon.

I know what a lot of us are thinking, what about the moving shots. Well, if it holds up this image as well as I'm hearing the 35mb stuff will, it's going be excellent.
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Trustee

I wonder if it will have less of a CA problem than many of the three chip cams have? (The HVX actually handels chromatic abberation quite well.)
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
The EX1 colours are slightly towards green (or G1's toward red). The G1 picture is also definitely brighter, but this - like the colour - is all tweakable. The most striking difference in EX1's favour is the latitude - just compare the blown-out mirror reflection in all the G1's images...
Piotr,

I think the lattitude benefit may be less than the shots seem to show, b/c, like you pointed out, the EX1 had a significantly darker exposure than the G1 did.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #29
Trustee

According to one early review from Nigel Cooper it performed very well in the CA depatment.
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=171
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #30
Regular Crew

OK
Got home and looked at the frames again - this time- full rez- on a JVC HD studio monitor.
Sony Ex- 1080 30p is much better.
Now I'm digging it!
Randolph Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds