ChromaKey with EX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #16
Trustee

Barlow,

I never believed it was true 10bits even when there were reports of it being true. This is one of those subjects that really get a lot of bad information and the way it is setup a tech could spin it in either direction.

I would have loved for it to output 10bit video but I always had my doubts. I don't think it is going to be that big of a deal however. There have been people that mixed the SDI output from the Canon H1 and the SONY F900 with great results and the limit of 8 bits doesn't cause a lot of problems. While 10 bits is better of course it isn't all that much better to make or break a project.

Even as 8 bit a digital SDI is still going to be better then a analog component output.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Even as 8 bit a digital SDI is still going to be better then a analog component output.
That's for sure.
So it does not appear to be the full 10bit word.
Short of just looking at it, is there a way to verify, such as actually looking to see if the word has its two least significant bytes filled with zeros?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Major Player

I thought this would be the case as well (the old adage if it's too good to be true it usually is...)

Our of curiosity where do we start seeing 10bit + output on cameras? The grass valley infinity i think is one but im not sure what price that starts out at. I assume none of this similar prosumer models do?

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

As a CineForm P2K user, in the future I will be recording or converting EX1 footage to 10-bit on ingest. Whilst it appears that it is an 8-bit source, when encoding to a 10-bit CineForm format, post grading should be more robust and less likely to suffer typical problems with 8-bit uncompressed, namely banding. Whilst the 8-bit source will contain 256 steps of greyscale, the 10-bit CineForm will allow those 256 steps to interpolate into 1024 steps in post grading.

http://www.cineform.com/products/FAQ.htm#ProspectHD3

Still seems like a good value camera, and if you have a paying gig, this camera should be able to earn you some bucks before anyone releases a competitive camera.

Last edited by Christopher Barry; November 27th, 2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: please teach me to spell.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Is there any way to get a verifiable test to check for 10bit? Or at least something direct from Sony?
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #21
Major Player

I use cineform too but i've done projects where i've really had to push the source (for theatrical reasons) and the HDV off the Z1 really could have been a lot better.When you protect your highlights you loose a lot of bandwidth of the data because it's concentrated in the right hand side of the curve and i also found the compression on the Z1 very destructive on shadow areas.

If this was true 10bit off the camera i would have jumped immediately but now i'll just jump a bit slower :)
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds