SD Downconvertion from EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Major Player

SD Downconvertion from EX1

I've been testing the various files available on DV Info using the Sony browswer software to export as .mxf files and then into Edius. I'm running an NX card with component HD out to a JVC 19" Tube HD monitor, and a JVC 26" HD flatscreen ( also component HD in )

Initial tests down converting a 1920x1080 50i project to SD PAL ( EX1 HQ 35mb 1920x1080 50i file ) have pretty alarming "jaggies" worse than seen with Z1's - looks as though we may need some improved software to handle the finer detail from the +2M pixel chips in the EX1.

Interestingly, I'm seeing higher detail than I'm used to from XDCAM HD (350)
files.

I wonder if the detail setup in the EX1 is a little hot in default mode?

I'll put some stills on my server today if time allows.

Paul
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
I've been testing the various files available on DV Info using the Sony browswer software to export as .mxf files and then into Edius. I'm running an NX card with component HD out to a JVC 19" Tube HD monitor, and a JVC 26" HD flatscreen ( also component HD in )

Initial tests down converting a 1920x1080 50i project to SD PAL ( EX1 HQ 35mb 1920x1080 50i file ) have pretty alarming "jaggies" worse than seen with Z1's - looks as though we may need some improved software to handle the finer detail from the +2M pixel chips in the EX1.
Edius has had issues in the past downconverting from HD to SD, so that may account for some of the issues you're seeing. Try changing the project setting to widescreen DV before doing the SD render and see if that helps.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I haven't tried it much but this seems to work for me using ffmpeg

EX1.mp4 to DV25 (no need to unwrap in Clip Browser).
ffmpeg –i inputfile.mp4 –f dv –s 720x576 output.dv
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post

I'll put some stills on my server today if time allows.
Paul, this is a quite normal effect, switching from progressive (HD) to interlaced (SD/PAL). You won't see the jaggies checking the SD file on a tube monitor, however they are visible on an LCD. One way to circumvent this is to de-interlace the SD video with an application like DVMaker or the likes.
DVMaker is worth every cent of its price as it re-renders the two interlaced frames into one progressive frame again without loosing resolution.

Would you care to post the stills on your server? Thanx.

BTW, hows to weather down at Ibiza?
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

After a lot of looking about I have found the best way to get High quality MPEG-2 (dvd standard) files from my EX1

The application MediaCoder (latest beta) uses FFMPEG at it core but has a nice GUI.

check it out and see what you think

MediaCoder - more than a universal audio/video transcoder
Matt San is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds