xdcam and Apple FCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
I've tried it on Leopard and it works fine. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is that XDCAM devices don't appear on the desktop.
That's one of the issues. The installer dialog warns of incompatibility with Leopard. I was beta testing 2.1 for about 3 weeks prior to release and it was good to go under Tiger. I'm running it now under Leopard. It doesn't correctly read the volume name assigned to the disc either.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Rather an oversight given how close its release was alongside Leopard.

They need to add an export back to XDcAM disc too, and a duplicate XDCAM disc option for transferring between devices. This Mac incarnation is still lagging way behind the capabilities of the PC version.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Sorry wrong post.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; November 26th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Unzip file to desktop
Launch Xdcam Transfer 2.1
Click Add button lower left hand corner
Browse to the desktop (it will not allow you to select the BAV folder. That is fine)
Add desktop
The Transfer program should scan for and add the clip.

that method worked for me too. thanks.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Gaffney View Post
Unzip file to desktop
Launch Xdcam Transfer 2.1
Click Add button lower left hand corner
Browse to the desktop (it will not allow you to select the BAV folder. That is fine)
Add desktop
The Transfer program should scan for and add the clip.

that method worked for me too. thanks.

vince
(Thanks for this thread)

This method worked good for me to.. just point the Transfer program to the 'parent' directory of the BPAV file.
Lloyd Ranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Just know that XDCAM Transfer 2.1 is NOT compatible with Leopard. Don't know if this is why some are having success while others are not.

-gb-
It isn't fully compatible but I have got it to work fine, apart from the XDCAM disc names are incorrect. EX works a treat
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
It isn't fully compatible but I have got it to work fine, apart from the XDCAM disc names are incorrect. EX works a treat
Me too. I just felt it prudent to warn folks about potential issues that may crop up on top of what we already know. In all fairness, I am only using it with my XDCAM HD disc material, not the EX card based stuff. Having gone to the trouble to name all my discs for proper data management, I feel the disc name recognition issue is a problem for me personally.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #23
Major Player

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this, I seem to have missed the thread since my first post.

I didn't see any issues with the two cards mounting on my desktop when connecting the camera, they appear automatically as soon as the camera is plugged in, turned on and USB mode executed.

Importing the footage from the cards is really easy in FCP. You just create a new project, then from the import menu choose Sony XDCAM... and then the Sony XDCAM Transfer app launches showing the two cards in the left panel and all of the clips in the main window. I didn't do any in-point or out-point marking at that stage, I simply selected the clips I wanted and pressed import.

After that the files import in to whichever bin you have selected to receive logged clips.

There were a couple of things I noticed...

Firstly, imported clips were transfered to my Movies folder and not the scratch disk defined in final cut - I didn't check to find if this is definable, I expect it must be.

Secondly, after importing clips into a bin in FCP, if I tried to go through the clips in the browser by double clicking them to view them in the viewer window a weird behavior starts to happen with the way the files are highlighted in the browser, it's almost as though the browser highlights the file above the one you clicked by mistake.

Lastly, like any other mass storage device you have to drag th drives to the trash before disconnecting the camera. This can be a bit of a pain as you have to do both drives. I did disconnect the camera once without doing so and the next time I tried to record some footage the camera asked me to 'repair' both of the sxs cards. The repair process was very fast though and all of the clips remained intact.

Paul

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds