Are you finding the Sel/Set and Power switches hard to use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Are you finding the Sel/Set and Power switches hard to use?

I'm finding that neither of these controls on the back of the camera extend far enough from the camera to make them easy to use. I have to use a fingernail to use them with any accuracy. More often than not, when I try to scroll with the Sel/Set control, I find that I press on it, thus selecting an item instead of scrolling.

Are others also finding these difficult to use?
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Major Player

The sel/set on the back is definitely fiddly. Instead of using it, use the joystick on top - it adds some left/right functionality and is a lot easier to use for me.

The power switch is slippery but it doesn't bother me so much.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Eric! I didn't realize that you could use the joystick for navigating the menus - thought it was only for changing the on-screen options... :-)

definitely much easier!
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Sponsor: divergent media

I absolutely agree - I think it's a fantastic camera and I'm loving it, but there are a few choices in terms of button placement and button style that could have been better. Really, I'd like to be able to navigate menus with my right thumb, while holding the camera.
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I found the power switch to be awkward but it may be for the best that it's difficult to bump, as apparently you could lose data if you shut the camera off while recording. Regarding the Select/Set dial, I'm used to that from my FX1 so I didn't mind it too much, but it is easy to press while you're scrolling and that was a minor nuisance. I also thought the recording mode selection options should be at the top of the first menu instead of the bottom of the last one.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
... Regarding the Select/Set dial, I'm used to that from my FX1 so I didn't mind it too much, but it is easy to press while you're scrolling and that was a minor nuisance.
I found the FX1 control reasonable to use - it was larger and extends beyond the back of the camera more than the PMW-EX1 (which was why I was surprised that they made it harder to control).

Quote:
I also thought the recording mode selection options should be at the top of the first menu instead of the bottom of the last one.
I agree about the recording mode selection options! Putting the video format selection at the bottom of the "Other" menu category makes no sense... They should have used another menu category and grouped the video mode settings together - e.g., video format, interval recording, frame recording, S&Q mode, etc., to make them easier to access.
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I agree about that menu. I like to shoot 1080p, but when I want to do slo-mo, it would be nice if I didn't have to go to two deeply buried separate menus.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Maybe there's some place we can pass feedback on to Sony for a future firmware update? That would be great to see
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds