More Grabs - Detail On vs. Detail Off - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I'm still waiting for my LEX to arrive. Once I get it, I plan on posting a PP with Canon lenses. More to follow....
When did you order yours Bill, how long is it taking?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Have any of you ever seen any Red footage? It is actually very soft. If you plan on doing a film out I would for sure shoot with detail off.

24p doesn't look very good with edge enhancement. 24p needs smooth transitions and this is why some cameras that shoot true 24p may not look as good as others. People always ask why HDCAM looks so much better at 24p and it is because it doesn't need as much if any edge enhancement. Film is not as crisp and detailed as some people think it is. That is the whole point to using a camera with native 1920x1080 chips. It looks highly detailed without the need for edge enhancement.

Even for interlaced video edge enhancement is bad. Even if you keep it as interlaced HD the sharper the detail the more you will notice as each field is diaplayed. The smoother the gradations in interlaced video the better the fields will blend together when they playback. Sharpness was designed to make up for images that are too soft with the EX1 you don't really need it.
I get what you are saying. But most people add detail when shooting with the F900 for example. So there's space for edge enhancement in the world of HD.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #18

Ordered mine on 17 Feb. They say it's taking 28 days...one month.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I'm still waiting for my LEX to arrive. Once I get it, I plan on posting a PP with Canon lenses. More to follow....
That would be great. Im using FD lenses and I've found your stock lens PP's very useful with them. Would be nice to have individual color spaces for all the lenses though as they require some color correction in post.

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
I get what you are saying. But most people add detail when shooting with the F900 for example. So there's space for edge enhancement in the world of HD.
Really? Where are your stats for this? My whole point isn't that there is no detail being added to the F900 just that it doesn't need as high of an amount of it. If you start out with smaller chips or chips that only have 960x540 pixels or even 1440x1080 cheap pixels you need a lot more edge enhancement then you do with the F900. Most F900 footage I have seen and worked with doesn't have anywhere at all the same level of electronic sharpness that other cameras have and this helps a lot. The way electronic sharpness works it that it adds contrast to edges. These high contrast edges do not translate very well in 24p movement. 24p in film works because of the natural way film captures images without a single touch of electronic edge enhancement. 24p needs good motion blur to sell the images as moving. If you add edge enhancement you no longer have that smooth transition for medium speed shots. Slow shots are fine because you are moving so slow. Fast shots are fine because the motion is so high the edge enhancement doesn't do anything to it. Medium speed shots that have a slight amount of motion blur will get some of that blur eaten away by making it sharper.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds