Another EX1 lens controller at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Contributor

Another EX1 lens controller

Bebob has a description of theirs on their website.

http://www.bebob.de/international/zoe-EX_e.html

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks Carroll but it would be nice to see one with Iris and Focus.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Thanks Carroll but it would be nice to see one with Iris and Focus.
Most pro cameras don't have any external imput for focus control, usually it's done via a focus block that is mounted on the lens via a screw. It would be very nice to have something like that though
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
Most pro cameras don't have any external imput for focus control, usually it's done via a focus block that is mounted on the lens via a screw.
And there is a good reason for that - the LANC focus controllers are simply not precise enough. I'm using Manfrotto 523Pro and 521Pro with my V1E, and while the PAF button is very useful, the manual focus adjustment with the rocker (on 521Pro), and especially with dedicated buttons (on 523Pro) is far from ideal.

That said, I still suspect Sony is preparing something more than just the zoom/start/stop controller; otherwise why would they provide a proprietary socket on the EX1, instead of the straight 8-pin Fujinon one?
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
otherwise why would they provide a proprietary socket on the EX1, instead of the straight 8-pin Fujinon one?
So they can make more money by selling their accessories? Sounds like a good business plan to me.....
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
So they can make more money by selling their accessories? Sounds like a good business plan to me.....
Not quite - so far, it's the controller manufacturers that provide adapters...
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here's a site offering a few more accessory items besides the controller...

http://www.16x9inc.com/products/land...n-pmw-ex1.html
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well for me I need the iris, focus, zoom, and on/off all on a remote for when I fly in a helicopter. I have two hands on the mounted 4 gyro set up and if you switch a hand to the camera you loose the shot. This is due to the camera being outside the helicopter. If the helicopter is moving which is most of the time your hand goes into the wind and that does not work. At that point the camera is not stable. It takes a very soft touch to keep a moving boat in the frame if you are at anything but full wide. So having the control to go manual at my finger tips makes all the difference.

I hope one comes out prior to mid Feb when I fly next for a client.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds