DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Picture Profile Recipes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110902-picture-profile-recipes.html)

Docea Marius March 22nd, 2009 02:02 PM

Hallo Mitghell,it's Doug's setting?

DOUG'S PRESET

MATRIX:

SETTING: ON
SELECT: HIGH SAT
LEVEL: 0
PHASE: 0
R-G: 0
R-B: 0
G-R: 0
G-B: 0
B-R: 0
B-G: 0

COLOR CORRECTION:

SETTING: OFF
AREA DETECTION
AREA INDICATION: OFF
TARGET PHASE: 130
TARGET WIDTH: 40

WHITE:

OFFSET WHITE: OFF
OFFSET: 0
PRESET WHITE: 5600

DETAIL:

SETTING: ON
FREQUENCY: 0
CRISPENING: 0
H/V RATIO: 0
WHITE LIMITER: 0
BLACK LIMITER: 0
V DTL CREATION: Y
KNEE APT LEVEL: 0

SKIN TONE DETAIL:

SETTING: OFF
LEVE: 0
AREA DETECTION
AREA INDICATION: OFF
SATURATION: 0
PHASE: 130
WIDTH: 40

KNEE:

NOTHING

GAMMA:

SELECT: CINE4

BLACK: -3
BLACK GAMMA: -2
LOW KEY SAT: 0

Thanks

Mitchell Lewis March 22nd, 2009 06:49 PM

Yep. But you could greatly simplify it by saying:

Everything at the factory setting except:

MATRIX: HIGH SAT
PRESET WHITE: (what ever you want it to be for your shooting conditions)
GAMMA: CINE4
BLACK: -3
BLACK GAMMA: -2

I've changed it slightly by setting BLACK to -2. No big deal. :)

Here's some video I just shot with those settings. But I did a little color grading afterwords. (I'm really starting to love color grading) http://www.vimeo.com/3783345

Docea Marius March 23rd, 2009 01:51 PM

Thanks, I'll try setting the vortex.Din settings I try many until now, what more real it seems to me that TC2.Si setting is still a light shade of purple, especially when shooting outside in soare.Eu filez more to the wedding, I prefer a more natural color and not too strong in contrast.

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 828924)
Steve...

I still use a mix of TC2 with Black around -8. I prefer STD1 because it gives me the best latitude in post. If the scene is outdoors, in sunlight, STD1 blows out easily and I switch to Cine1 or cine4.

I'm experimenting with a CINEMA setting instead of HISAT. New color matrix. If you're interested, let me know.

its been well over a year since you posted this and i'm interested in the CINEMA setting.

thanks Bill. you've been a busy boy!!!

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila (Post 873332)
....First image shows a shot with a PP that I got from Philip Blooms blog.....

i'm a little late to the party. what are/were Philip Bloom's PP settings?

thanks.

Danny Dale April 1st, 2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1040553)
i'm a little late to the party. what are/were Philip Bloom's PP settings?

thanks.

Philip Bloom Blog Archive ex1 Picture profile settings i use

I had sent an email to Bill a couple of weeks ago asking what the latest tweaks/settings were and got no reply...

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Dale (Post 1040958)
Philip Bloom Blog Archive ex1 Picture profile settings i use

I had sent an email to Bill a couple of weeks ago asking what the latest tweaks/settings were and got no reply...

wait a minute. the PP on Philip Bloom's website are Bill Ravens'. did philip motify them? man, if people aren't 100% specific it can get pretty confusing and spiral into a global meltdown.

Danny Dale April 1st, 2009 05:50 PM

Yeah... that is how I was feeling. I got the EX1 about a month ago and have been searching the forums looking for the "magical" PP. There are lots of variations of Bill's TC2 PP I have come across - detail on and off, different black levels, etc. I have tried several and like TC2 with Cine 3 the best - only have shot outdoor stuff, haven't done anything yet with controlled lighting.

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 05:51 PM

Bill Ravens up to date as of 4/1/2009 TC2 PP settings

ok, i just spent the majority of the day "carefully" reading every single post to this thread. can someone please let me know what Bill Ravens most current TC2 PP settings are?

thanks.

Danny Dale April 1st, 2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1041062)
ok, i just spent the majority of the day "carefully" reading every single post to this thread. can someone please let me know what Bill Ravens most current TC2 PP settings are?

thanks.

did the same thing - read all the posts and couldn't find anything newer than what was on Philip's site. That's why I sent Bill an email asking about the latest tweaks/settings, but no reply.

Maybe if he gets more requests, he'll post something.

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 06:08 PM

hey Danny,
yeah, i'm unsure of the Gamma Level: is it -40 or 0?
Black: -12, -8, -4, -3

amongst others...

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 06:13 PM

Philip Bloom or Bill Ravens' PP?

and more thing. how in the hell did Phil or Bill adjust the KNEE if the GAMMA was set to CINE1??? are they magicians or merlins????

Danny Dale April 1st, 2009 06:22 PM

The knee and black/gamma settings - those are all the "little differences" that drove me mad. I think Bill explains the black settings in the thread on Phil's site - just scroll down and he makes comments. I ended up with black -8, level 0, cine3, detail off

Michael B. McGee April 1st, 2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Dale (Post 1041127)
The knee and black/gamma settings - those are all the "little differences" that drove me mad. I think Bill explains the black settings in the thread on Phil's site - just scroll down and he makes comments. I ended up with black -8, level 0, cine3, detail off

that's funny how different people read different things. Here's the 1st comment Bill had on Phil's site in the link you sent me. he's got BLACK at -3. no mention of GAMMA level at 0. i still think supposed to be -40.

A few words on the PP settings I have called TC2 and TC3.
TC2 gives rich saturated realistic colors, perhaps a bit towards the red/yellow.
TC3(the second set Phil posted) uses the CINEMA preset and a Color Correction factor. TC3 is less saturated, more balanced towards blue/green than TC2.

The Black settings have evolved from my original recommendation. A setting of -12 gives full dynamic range to the capture, however, in order to maximize dynamic range, there is no headroom, or footroom if you prefer. IOW, controlled lighting is required or you’ll crush the shadows very easily. I have since backed off the Black setting to -3 for more headroom/footroom in less controlled lighting situations. It would seem even “0″ is more forgiving in run and gun situations.

I hope this helps those with questions.
best,
Bill

Danny Dale April 1st, 2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Dale (Post 1041127)
I ended up with black -8, level 0, cine3, detail off

Just so you know, those settings are what I chose after playing around with them, just looking at them on my Dell 2405. I don't have a true high-quality monitor or scopes, that's why I was following Bill's settings cause he set up the PP's with real monitors/scopes. Maybe try and contact him, or start a thread asking about his PP's?

Brian Luce April 7th, 2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Dale (Post 1041069)
did the same thing - read all the posts and couldn't find anything newer than what was on Philip's site. That's why I sent Bill an email asking about the latest tweaks/settings, but no reply.

Maybe if he gets more requests, he'll post something.

Unfortunately it seems if you want profile settings you either have to DIY or pay. I've got some settings from Paolo Ciccone I'll try and post up soon. His recipes for the JVC were legendary.

Bill Ravens April 7th, 2009 12:57 PM

Hey guys...

I've read your posts with some curiosity and provide the following response:
I posted my profiles with good intentions, wanting to share and help fellow DVINFO.Net'ers. What I caused was a firestorm of criticism for a small few who took issue with my settings. I also shared one profile with Phil Bloom, asking that he keep it to himself, which he did not. Unfortunately, because of these few, I no longer post settings, nor make my settings available.

I thank you for your interest, and hope you can understand the dilemma.

Brian Luce April 7th, 2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1063395)
Hey guys...

I posted my profiles with good intentions, wanting to share and help fellow DVINFO.Net'ers. What I caused was a firestorm of criticism for a small few who took issue with my settings. I also shared one profile with Phil Bloom, asking that he keep it to himself, which he did not. Unfortunately, because of these few, I no longer post settings, nor make my settings available.

I won't complain! Willing to email them? If so, brian90402 AT gmail.
EX3 settings right?

Michael B. McGee April 8th, 2009 09:41 AM

I too won't complain. you can IM me if you'd like. i'll keep them under lock and key. thanks for your contributions to this site. i appreciate it.

-Mike

Mitchell Lewis April 8th, 2009 09:50 AM

Bill: This is ridiculous that people are complaining about your PP's (I hadn't heard about that). You need to name names so we can ban them from this site. Hehehehe

I just can't understand how worked up some people can get over the most trivial stuff. You've done a great service to this site by the amount of work you've put into your PP's. Don't let some junior high idiots spoil your enthusiasm. What can we do as a group to change your mind?

Danny Dale April 9th, 2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1066953)
Bill: This is ridiculous that people are complaining about your PP's (I hadn't heard about that). You need to name names so we can ban them from this site. Hehehehe

I just can't understand how worked up some people can get over the most trivial stuff. You've done a great service to this site by the amount of work you've put into your PP's. Don't let some junior high idiots spoil your enthusiasm. What can we do as a group to change your mind?

I second that...

Anthony McErlean April 13th, 2009 04:49 AM

I've read most of the posts about PP and I was wondering if these setting can be used for an EX3, I think I've seen posts saying no, not to use them and some are saying yes you can.

Thanks.

Kellen Dengler April 13th, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Hey guys...

Hey Bill,

I understand your frustration about publicly posting your PPs. If you are cool with direct messaging them I would love to check them out and see the results. I am experiementing with a few a of the widespread public ones out there and can't get the reuslts I'm looking for. Always to looking to test out new ones!

Gints Klimanis April 13th, 2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, because of these few, I no longer post settings, nor make my settings available.

Oh no. Don't let a few geeks on the Internet ruin your mood. We are all grateful for your sharing your efforts, and your work lives in a lot of EX1. Thank you for helping me to improve my EX1 picture quality.

Bill Ravens April 13th, 2009 06:27 PM

thanx guys....I'm a little floored at the no. of people who have found something worthwhile in what I posted. Well, in any fora where there are a lot of viewers, it's a gaussian distribution of who's reading. Some people can use it, some people just want to tear it down. Just simple statistics. Guess I've learned that I don't like being that visible. Rather be a fly on the wall. If I come up with anything worth sharing, I'll let those who appreciate it, know. Now, if only I had a detector that could tell me....

well, I'm beginning to see that the "look" of the capture isn't as important as what I can morph it into in post. In other words, profiles aren't as significant as capturing the most dynamic range that allows me to make adjustments in post without introducing a lot of grain and color channel distortion. Alistair has posted some good info. Doesn't look so pretty on the EVF, but, it allows a lot of flexibility in post.

The weakness of digital video is the available dynamic range. Even Red cams, according to what I've been reading, don't have the dynamic rancge of film. So, the message is, go for max dynamic range, use proper lighting to keep from intoducing grain in the shadows.

Cineform is beta-ing a metadata method of adjusting exposure, contrast, color balance with their DI. This method holds a great deal of promise for CCing data that is superior to any in camera processing that I've seen. IOW, capture RAW, adjust in post. I think that's where technology is headed.
Thanx again..

Andrew Stone April 13th, 2009 09:42 PM

Bill the work you have done on picture profiles has spurned a lot of good discussion and discovery on making what comes out of the camera even better.

It's unfortunate that your trust was violated in a public manner, however, I really hope you understand how important your contribution to the community of EX users has been. Every day thousands of cameras are capturing better images as a result of your work. Lots of us appreciate it and are reminded daily when we switch on our cameras or begin to work on footage in our NLEs.

I think it is still really important to keep the discussion and the discovery going as there is still a lot of finessing work that can be done. To loose your input Bill would be tragic in my view.

Chris Leong April 14th, 2009 08:51 AM

Bill
What Andrew said, in spades.
I've been using your PP settings since the beginning, with a few (very few, actually) modifications. Just wrapped principal on a caveman comedy feature film called "The Missing Link", 21 days shoot and nary a glitch. I agree with you that the RAW looking footage ends up by being the best materials to color correct from and pull DIs, but if you'd like to see what effect your input has had on this thread and my work, well look out for this movie, coming to a theater near you... when it's done.
Previously:
exposureroom.com/5150
exposureroom.com/2012
Both unfinished as yet but shot with Bill Raven PPs!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Brian Chow May 9th, 2009 11:55 AM

Picture Profiles

Can anyone direct me to Bills PP? THere are just so many pages in this thread that I was just hoping that someone may have direct access to it. I really appreciate the help that everyone gives on this forum.

Thanks,
Brian

Clark Peters May 9th, 2009 05:59 PM

Post number 64 was the first of Bill's picture profiles. There were several tweakings in the pages after that.
Pete

Brian Chow May 10th, 2009 12:27 PM

Thanks, will the EX1 profile differ any at all for the EX3?

Thanks,
Brian

Mitchell Lewis May 16th, 2009 09:13 AM

The EX1 PP can be used on the EX3. There's only a slight difference (if any) between the EX1 and EX3 PP's.

Michael B. McGee May 16th, 2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1143921)
The EX1 PP can be used on the EX3. There's only a slight difference (if any) between the EX1 and EX3 PP's.

what might those differences be? if any???

Kevin Spahr May 18th, 2009 12:27 PM

The EX3 has a number of memory settings for the interchangeable lenses that is included in the setting files so that would make the files different from one saved on the EX1. The EX3 can "remember" an number of lenses and then when you attach the lens again you don't have to do the compensation settings. (There may be some additional settings for the studio remote on the EX3 - can't remember for sure.) I believe these extra data fields keep the files from being interchangeable between models.

I bet the two cameras would look pretty close to each other if you created identical profile settings on an EX1 & EX3.

It would be nice for someone with both cameras to confirm that...

Michael B. McGee June 15th, 2009 11:36 AM

Digging deeper into Picture Profiles

ok, i've read every post on this thread/sticky and i still don't know everything there is to know about Picture Profiles(PP). I've made a list of questions about settings within the PP and hope that all of you, much more technical savvy individuals can help me out.

1. Matrix: Level: what does adjusting this do?
Phase: what does this do?

2. Color Correction: does anyone use this? if so, how and why?

3. Detail: I know detail is but i'm unaware of what (level, frequency, crispening, h/v ratio, white limit, black limit, v dtl creation, and knee apt level) are and what they do.

4. Skin Tone Detail: once again, does anyone use this? if so, how and why?

5. Gamma: Level: what does changing the level do? i can see on my monitor that adding/increasing + lightens the image and vice versa for decreasing/subtracting -. but what is it actually, technically doing?

thanks in advance. you guys are great.

-Mike

Nick Wilson June 15th, 2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1158796)
ok, i've read every post on this thread/sticky and i still don't know everything there is to know about Picture Profiles(PP). I've made a list of questions about settings within the PP and hope that all of you, much more technical savvy individuals can help me out.

Hi Mike

When you have an hour or so, go to

Sony Business Solutions & Systems - Featured

and watch the 2 'Sony Camera Tips' videos. Juan Martinez, who occasionally posts here, explains all of the picture profile parameters.

Cheers, Nick

Kevin Spahr June 15th, 2009 08:44 PM

Michael here's some stuff on another Sony site, go to

Sony : Broadcast, Business and Professional Solutions : United Kingdom

Under "PRODUCTS" on the left click on "Broadcast & Pro A/V"
Then on the right side under "News & Events" click on "XDCAM EX Camcorder"
Then in the center of the page is "Reference Information" click on "More"
Close the bottom is "Shooting Tips for XDCAM EX" then finally on the right under "See Also" is a list of shooting tips Issue 4 may help answer some of your questions.

Sorry for this long list of steps but direct links to these articles do not seem to stay valid

There's tons of great info randomly spread through out this journey...

I wish Sony would put all the XDCAM EX stuff at one easy to find place - like the XDCAM EX Micro Site !!!

Michael B. McGee June 16th, 2009 10:42 AM

thanks Kevin and Nick. i'll check those site out soon.

Luis Reggiardo June 22nd, 2009 02:34 AM

PP for TV Commercial!

I'm shooting a small TV commercial (posted another thread about lighting). First my situation... questions at the bottom of the post.

>GEAR: EX1 + Letus Extreme + Carl Zeiss Planar/Distagon optics (28/35/50/85) that are sold through the Letus webshop.

>TARGET: I'm looking for a nice and sharp TV commercial look, with a filmic touch. Nice well-reproduced colours (product is shown, so it's critical) and really pleasant and classic skin tones.

>LIGHTING: Controlled with 12x12 difussions (sillk for fill + half soft frost for overhead) + 12K PAR HMI (backlight) + 6K PAR HMI (key) + Reflector boards. Possible semi-cloudy day. Close-ups up to wide landscape shots with actors.

>MONITORING: No on the field waveform monitor, so I'll use Onlocation/Veescope/ScopeBox for MAC outing SD through FIREWIRE for Waveform monitoring, then switching back to HD for shooting.

>PP PROPOSAL:
Besides using ND + Circular polar, this is my current PP to try based on Bill Ravens but tweaked from other follow-ups:

Shooting 1080p@25 / 180º shutter

Gain: 0db
Manual white balance

Matrix ...............on
Select................hisat
Level..................0
Phase.................-5
R-G...................75
R-B...................0
G-R...................-18
G-B...................-32
B-R...................-27
B-G...................13

Color Correction..............off
White............................ off
Detail.............................On, Level 0, Frequency +65 (test 30/40), Crispening 0 (test 20/30), Black limiter +75, White limiter +75
Detail Level.....................0
Detail Freq......................0
Skintone.........................off

Knee..............................on
Auto knee......................on
Point.............................90
Slope............................0
Knee SAT level...............50

Gamma Level..............0 (test until -40)
Gamma Select.............CINE1 if sunny day / CINE3 if cloudy!
Black..........................-4, test up to -8/10
Black Gamma..............-2
Low Key Sat: 0

> QUESTIONS:
- What do you think about these settings for my target look? I've used Letus before and for this shot I think the detail is welcomed. The detail tweak was taken from some Letus user blog.
- When switching from SD monitoring back to HD to shoot, I guess it also goes from 50i to 25p (my shooting spec)... so, if I expose with the waveform for the SD/Firewire signal, I'd have to compensate 1 stop for the 50i->25p switch?
- I'm thinking about using up to ND1 on camera, and if in the need for more, go with 4x5.6 ND.3/6/9; using the Carl Zeiss lens between f2.8/4 and the camera iris between 4/5.6... what do you think about this? Remember I'm going after the best detailed picture (without compromising the rotating mirror of the Letus)
- Should I turn the auto knee off?

Thanks!
Luis

Vincent Oliver June 22nd, 2009 02:49 AM

Sounds like you have all the settings set up, what else do you need to know?

The On/Off button is located at the rear of the camera.

Luis Reggiardo June 22nd, 2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1161738)
Sounds like you have all the settings set up, what else do you need to know?

The On/Off button is located at the rear of the camera.

> QUESTIONS:
- What do you think about these settings for my target look? I've used Letus before and for this shot I think the detail is welcomed. The detail tweak was taken from some Letus user blog.
- When switching from SD monitoring back to HD to shoot, I guess it also goes from 50i to 25p (my shooting spec)... so, if I expose with the waveform for the SD/Firewire signal, I'd have to compensate 1 stop for the 50i->25p switch???
- I'm thinking about using up to ND1 on camera, and if in the need for more, go with 4x5.6 ND.3/6/9; using the Carl Zeiss lens between f2.8/4 and the camera iris between 4/5.6... what do you think about this? Remember I'm going after the best detailed picture (without compromising the rotating mirror of the Letus)
- Should I turn the auto knee off?

Thanks!