Sony PMW-EX1 vs Panasonic HVX200 shootout footage online - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 6th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

The EX1 has Cine 1, 2, 3 and 4, and we do not know what Matt used, nor do we know what HVX settings were used?

Another important setting to test is Matrix. We don't know if Matt used Standard, High SAT, FL Light and Cinema?

There is so much more to be explored and combinations to be mixed. Matt Jeppsen will soon post some DSC Lab charts exploring the Cine Gamma Curves and different Matrix settings.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
I don't think that's just because of the white balancing.

The Sony definitely wins, but the HVX looks damn good.
Maybe so, but when someone puts up examples where whites are blue, this is white balancing.

I believe i've shown this before. It's not a blown up frame, but a cropped section of a 1080P
comparison between the EX1 and HVX200.

Imagine seeing this on a big screen.

http://members.cox.net/vx2000/HVX200_EX1.bmp
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #18
New Boot

Sorry about the cross post

Sorry about the cross post, it won't happen again. Is there a way to post in one forum and link to two forums? i.e. here it makes sense that people who frequent the Sony forum and the Panasonic forum would want to see this, but I wasn't sure how to keep it in the same thread, is that possible? Thanks.

Also as far as gammas go I think the EX1 was on Cine 1, and the HVX was cine-d. I operated the EX1 for the most part, and it was my first time using it, while the owner of the HVX operated that camera, so I'm not 100% positive of his settings but I think that was it.
Matt Devino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Matt, thanks for confirming (you think) Cine 1.

Anyone have a view why the sky is almost solarised looking at 20 seconds on this clip: EX1vsHVX_720pMotionBig.mov ?

The sky anomaly does not appear present in the 1080 clips.

It seems like a Knee effect, say on the highest Knee setting, coupled with 8 bit encoding. I read in the manual that some Cine Gamma Curves do not have Knee enabled (not sure if this is the case with Cine 1, 2, 3 and/or 4), however, the nature of some of these Cine Gamma Curves are like a Knee filter, compressing the Dynamic Range of certain parts of the curve.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Maybe so, but when someone puts up examples where whites are blue, this is white balancing.

I believe i've shown this before. It's not a blown up frame, but a cropped section of a 1080P
comparison between the EX1 and HVX200.

Imagine seeing this on a big screen.

http://members.cox.net/vx2000/HVX200_EX1.bmp
Come on, a cropped section IS a blown up frame. That little portion of the frame filling the big screen would repesent a ridiculous blow up.

Yes the EX1 looks better. Yes of course there was a white balancing problem. But I still leave impressed with the HVX, esp. considering its age. And I think it has very nice color. This has always been the rep of the HVX, good color out of the box. That's why so many XH-A1 users use some type of "panalook" preset to mimick the DVX/HVX color rendition.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Come on, a cropped section IS a blown up frame.
You're joking, right?

A cropped section out of a frame is NOT blown up unless one increases the size. Those SECTIONS were CUT from each 1920x1080 frame. They are the original size. The size was never increased.
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Steven,
have you shot the comparison clips with your own cameras?
The HVX example looks a little too bad in my opinion. I'm not a sharpness fanatic but I think I can have much more detailed pictures from my HVX, expecially in 1080 mode.
Francesco Dal Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #23
Trustee

No, this was from the EX1, G1, Z1, HVX200 framegrab comparison review posted a while back. BTW, both of those images were from the 1080 30P comparison.

Hey, I'm not saying the HVX can not produce pretty footage. We all know it can. Look at all the decent stuff that has came off of this camera over the last two years.
A couple years ago, over one month, we did a lot of tests comparisons between the JVC HD100 and the HVX200. Even though the HD100 had shortcomings such as GOP and CA, we liked the HD100 better.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #24
Major Player

This is the kind of thread that was bound to get the HVX crowd on the back foot. I find it quite gratifying because over on the final cut pro forums i'm forever being told how HDV is rubbish and how i should have gone the DVCPRO HD route instead (I'm an XHA1 owner). One of the best things about DVinfo is most people are open minded about different cameras/codecs, and recognise the strengths as well as the weaknesses of HDV.

The Panasonic is a fantastic camcorder, and still does things that the Sony won't do, and i nearly bought one, but as i said earlier on this thread, if i was buying now i'd get the sony, assuming that the camera improves the motion issues that lets down the current crop of HDV cameras for certain kinds of work.
Looking at the shots of the guy on the skateboard there doesn't seem to be much difference, and i agree the HVX stands up well.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
You're joking, right?

A cropped section out of a frame is NOT blown up unless one increases the size. Those SECTIONS were CUT from each 1920x1080 frame. They are the original size. The size was never increased.
I don't want to concentrate on something that really isn't important. But they can't be original size. Each crop is 9.5 inches by 3.5 inches on my lowly 19" screen.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #26
Trustee

LOL...
Each image is a cropped image approx. 660x240 out of the 1920x1080 originals.
What is your screen resolution 800x600? ;)

The combined example is approx. 660x480.
Pull it into any editor or paint program and look.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds